On 10/11/05, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oops, sorry, that message got a bit fouled up, wasn't in ASCII, second try:

> > http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#whatdo
> >What should you do if your fuel doesn't pass the wash-test?
>

>Well, for one thing I'm certainly not giving up. Just stumped.
>I've licked carburetor problems, idling issues, helped rebuild
>transmissions, and above all I'm paying my own way through
>engineering school. I'm not letting a simple transesterification
>process kick my butt. ^.~

It is though, isn't it?

Nope, not yet. It's merely throwing obstacles in my way. It's only kicked me soundly when I decide to give up; until then, it's still a fight I can win. >.>

>"Make sure you measure your Lye very carefully, I found I added to much
>the first time and smoked a blender but it was this and several other
>blunders that have made it easier to get along with now."
>
>Mmm... I should post pictures of what the blender looks like now. I
>smoked it pretty badly, on closer inspection. Cracked/melted part of
>the blender drum, ate away the seal (Seriously, does
>methanol/methoxide attack silicone parts?), started to do something
>funky to the blender blade; I'm going to guess it's an aluminum
>blade?
>
>Anywho, thank you for your suggestions; I'm swapping, since I'm on a
>bit of a tight budget, from a scale/mass based measuring system for
>hydroxide to a volumetric one. I have small measures and cylinders
>abounding all around me, and very little in the way of scales.
>Calibrate up a couple of different measuring devices, and do
>everything by volume instead of mass. Density of NaOH is 2.1 g/cm3
>right? Makes this whole thing easy and quicker for me.

Might seem to at first but it won't. Accurate scales will make it
easier and quicker for you.

Accurate scales are also currently out of my price range. I won't keep using it for long, once I have the money for said scale.

>I've dewatered some of my fresh oil (Got to love Wal-Mart quality,
>it had measurable water in it.),

Why risk wasting your time? People are trying to tell you about
removing the variables, not adding more of them. Get some virgin oil
that doesn't have water in it.

This was, supposedly. Picked up one of those quart bottles of oil, and just because I was curious (And because in this humidity, it seems <i>everything</i> has water in it. Ugh.) I heated it up to get any moisture in it out. Heated it and then let it settle; there was a small, but measurable, little layer of water that settled out.

>and I'm going to plan on making up a batch in a small jar, about
>300mL total size for conservation purposes.

How will you mix it and keep it hot?

Irf, didn't think of that. Right, back to plan B.

Anywho, it's midterm time.

-K