I think lots of people "get it" - didn't anyone else on this list live thru the 70's?
But as soon as oil prices dropped we all "forgot it" and bought SUV's and McMansions.
Talking about any kind of realization of change or sacrifice is anathema.  Terrorism? Go shopping.
Oil dwindling? Pass a tax break for the biggest SUV's.

Appal Energy wrote:
Congrats Joe!

At least one person on this list "gets it."

Todd Swearingen

Joe Street wrote:

I guess I didn't make my point very clearly.  I was thinking about
less.  It seems like a lot of folks, even the ones who are so called
envronmentally conscious think that means finding ways to go on with
more for less impact or less cost.  When I think of the word less I
think of actually less. Like less consumption.  Less growth.  Less
use. Finding ways to shift the peak of energy consumption around the
clock or spread it out is still about the poison of more.  We don't
need any more more.  We need more less.  Is anyone here under the
illusion that we can substitute renewables for non renewables and
continue with the legacy of more?  Renewables are more confining than
non renewables for the love of peat!  They may have a smaller
footprint in some regards but they do not indulge the illusion of
more. On the contrary they will demand the reality of less.

John Hayes wrote:

Well, to be fair, in Sen. Lieberman's homestate, where I just so happen
to live, electrical generation is 11.8% Coal, 18.5% oil, 12.9% NG, 48.9%
nuclear, 1.5% hydro and 6.4% other (presumably renewables).

Even better, CT is targeting 20% renewables by 2010 and 50% renewable by
2020. Thus I would have absolutely no environmental reservations about
buying an EV or PEHV in CT in the next 5 years.

jh

Joe Street wrote:

Oh yes this is dramatically better. So I wonder if he thought about how
that energy was generated, and then there is the little issue of just
what happens to "the peak period" when everyone's car is plugged in the
grid every night. Sheeesh. I thought rotating blackouts was already a
problem.

Joe

But we can do even better – dramatically better – with the plug-in hybrid
that is just now on the threshold of commercialization. ...Plugging in your
car during off peak hours –when power is in surplus and cheaper – would
soon just become part of the modern daily routine, like plugging in your
cell phone or PDA before you go to bed. And off-peak electricity can be the
equivalent of 50 cent a gallon gasoline.