-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chip Mefford
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:29 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Grey water heat recovery and low techSolar
collectors????

Zeke Yewdall wrote:
> The heat exchanger path for the incoming cold water is indeed much
> smaller with a higher pressure loss (usually, a small spiral tube
> wrapped around the greywater drain pipe), however it is clean water,
> and is no different than the heat exchanger for any on demand water
> heater.

Just a quick note:

I considered, then dismissed the spiral wrap in favor of
a multi-tube manifold, thus:
   /-----------------\
->-------------------->-
  \------------------/  (sorry but that's the idea)

soldered to the underside of the copper drainpipe,
as it occured to me that there isn't going to
be a whole lot of warm water on the top of the
drain pipe where it runs near-horizontal, (slowing the
drain to recover more energy) before dropping
off vertically. If I spiral wrapped the
drain pipe, I'd be putting what heat I recover
to work warming the colder side of the pipe,
and might end up with a warmer drain pipe with
a more even heat distribution, but no real
gain of heat into the intake path.

messages):