Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Why aren't there more manufacturers?

Care to share the plans?

Mike Luich

On 10/13/05, logan vilas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have built a turbine engine/burner for my waste glycerine. I know it can
be dumped, but mysetup preheats and can produce electricity at the same time
of destroying my waste. The burner is just about the same for any useage
from a half gallon an hour to 10 gallons a hour. It can burn a lot. I have
it set up for 1 gallon a hour right now. It is slightely loud(like a really
small jet engine), so no running it at night if your nebighors are going to
complain. I figure 1 gallon of glycerine has 53,000 btu's. That's enough
energy to produce about 20 HP. You loose about 25% in most cases to heat. So
If my numbers are correct that's 5hp. That will turn a 2.5-3kw Generator
Head. My average electric consumption for the last 6 months is 2.2 Kw per
hour. Right now the burner just exhausts onto a 50 gallon water vat that I
am going to plumb into my processor for heating(just waiting on the money
for heat exchanger). I figure after the energy produced the left over energy
in the heat is about 37,500 btu's. Then I should get about 3,750 btu's of
heating per hour on my water vat.

The only reason I have not set up the genhead is because durning the normal
day there are spikes above 3kw for some time, then at night it slows down. I
am trying to get NET METERING. That means any electricity I don't use goes
out to the general public and I get paid for it, but when my demand is more
then my output I draw what else I need from the utilitys. By the end of the
month they end up oweing you for the excess you produced. and you made it
instead of going to the dump with your glycerine. Plus that makes the size
of your glycerine storage much smaller.

To produce enough glycerine to burn 24 gallons a day you will need to make a
75 gallon batch per day. I size my batch by wvo put into the processor. That
means you are preheating 562.5 pounds of WVO. that's a 6.67 degree rise per
hour. and you should have about 22 hours of heating time at a min per day. I
figure no more then one hour to pump 75 gallons into the processor then 1
hour to refill the preheat tank. before heat loss that gives you a 146.74
degree heat rise from ambiant. I figure in a decently insulated container
should have no more then 50% heat loss(this could be easily wrong). That
would give you a Min of 73.37 degree rise above ambiant. It seldom gets
below 40F In south Louisiana.

This could be turned up to 1000 gallons per day and 10 gallons a hour of
consumption. It will produce the same temp rise because of the added batch
size, but at 10gph glycerine it would produce 50hp and beable to turn a
20-25kw gen head. You could also get a larger genhead and burn 10 gallons
per hour over 2.4 hours that will give the same overall energy consumption
the same electricity production and heating without the continious running,
but that genhead gets very expensive and it will be real loud running that
high speed. Then you would have to start it wait 2 hours for your preheat
then start processing. I perfer the idea of a running continious, Quiter,
and less trouble of haveing to restart it and shut it down.

Logan Vilas
Bio-Fuel Enterprises, Inc.