You know, reading that and several other concepts and proven designs has put an idea into my head.

I was doing some library research earlier today, and stumbled across the Deltic opposed piston engines. I looked into those, and was just utterly floored. "Like, whoa." is what the guy sitting beside me in the library told me I said. Those things rocked in some serious ways, with only a really complicated crankshaft balancing system keeping them from being really workable on a widespread basis. Ideas immediately started pouring through my head on how to revive the OP engine design.

Then I log on to check my e-mail, and see this. "Like, whoa" all over again. I read everything they have on their site. And the thought hits me.

A cam-driven opposed cylinder engine. Cam at one end, cam at the other, 12 cylinders in a round block, 24 pistons riding the two cams. Utterly and completely removes the crankshaft synching issues inherent to the OP design. Low/No exhaust pulse, no valve rattle, no valve timing, drastic moving parts reduction, size reduction, no flywheel needed; with all the reciprocation operating in a front-back orientation, there wouldn't really be any piston pulse to deaden; the mass of the car would do it just fine. Smooth, even rotations, approximately 12 power strokes per revolution to even out the power application. Use small bore/long throw pistons in your cylinders and it would probably even be more incredibly efficient than an inline 3-cylinder.

It would be perfect for that "slow burn" combustion of compression ignition engines.

Perfect for diesel. Even more perfect for BD.

I want to build it. I <i>need</i> to build this.

And all I can think now is "God I'm a geek" :p

-Kurt