>I have made a few test batches and they all seem to end up hazy with a dark
>layer on top. Is this what happens when the reaction is not complete?

No, but what's the dark layer on top? Do you mean you think the
biodiesel layer is darker than it should be?

>I use Phenolphthalein and am concerned that it is not working correctly. I
>checked the PH with PH paper after titrating and the PH was 7. I had to add
>2 more ml of lye solution to get the PH to 8.

Should be 8.5. You're correcting a phenolphthaleihn solution reading
with pH test strips? That doesn't sound wise. If your phenolphthalein
is fresh it should be fine. Store it in a dark place.

>I think this is causing me to
>have incomplete reactions.
>
>Should the BD be hazy after the reaction takes place?

Usually. Are you using SVO or WVO? I don't know what method you're
using and you don't describe what you did. Do it this way:

Make your first test batch
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodnew

Check your test batches with the wash-test:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality

Best wishes