robert luis rabello wrote:

>David Miller wrote:
>

>>I love looking at new engines:)  How'd that old mazda commercial go?
>>"Engines that go hmmmm" ?
>>

>       You're dating yourself, now!  (And me, too!)

Hey, I can remember Coke "I'd like to teach the world to sing"
commercial.  I was pretty young then though, so that does help date me:)

>>The biggest drawback to this engine would seem to be the efficiency -
>>the faq lists its best case as .47 lb per horsepower hour, and .55 or
>>more was pretty typical.  By comparison, an efficient piston diesel will
>>be down in the low .3's.  In other words it would use about 50% more
>>fuel for the same HP output.
>>

>       How would this compare to a typical Otto cycle piston engine?

Typical 4 stroke otto cycle (OK, that's redundant:) engines usually run
in the .4 to .5 lbs/hp-hour.  This engine is pretty typical for a wankel.

It's interesting that the airplane crowd has to take special precautions
with wankels because the exhaust is so hot.  Obviously this is because a
mark of its inefficiency - the higher the efficiency the lower the
exhaust temperature.

--- David