Or, as someone who maintanes websites, my feeling is - " if you don't like it, feel free to write something better and I'll post it"

Tom Scheel wrote:

I love the JtF site. Its very existence (and this mailing list) gives me confidence to go forward with biodiesel. So I totally understand the pride of creation and that the site is excellent. As a teacher I am aware that there is only one moment when you don't "get it" and after you "get it" you can't go back and be in that place of not getting it. What is jargon? Its when "professionals" forget what words are special to their field and which are in the common lexicon. I think teaching is in essence smoothing the way to the "getting it" that moment for a motivated student.

Anyways of all the items Brian brought up, the one that merited attention, in my opinion, was the "w/v". As a pre-newbie in creating biodiesel, I would not have known that term and honestly, would not have gotten it from context. Perhaps because I was taught pounds and gallons for weights and volumes, or perhaps I am not as smart as your average biodieseler (probably would have ignored it - not exactly careful process: ignore what doesn't make sense :->).

Having supported that one admittedly small problem with the JtF site, I am not sure that we need to provide Brian with a new orifice for excrement removal, as he seems to be doing fine with the one he has. [Brian,hopefully you will get to "getting it" and get on with spreading the gospel of sustainable fuel].

If I may segue, folks on this site were recently talking about how to take sustainability to the next level, in terms of concrete actions. I think of the world in terms of tons of CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) not released into the atmosphere. I make my living designing and installing solar thermal installations to heat water for space heating and domestic use. Making biodiesel is an extension of that by producing less CO2 and (I think a lot of people miss the significance of this) using current CO2, rather than stored from previous eras.

So my idea is to figure out what greenhouse gasses you are avoiding, what you are using from current accounts, and talk it up. Put it in your email signature, talk to friends and family. If you want to escalate, talk about it, in concrete terms (ie we could keep x tons of CO2 out of the atmosphere if we ran the trash hauling trucks on bio-diesel) with someone in your local government. If you are not already maxed out (no non-current greenhouse gases), make a concrete commitment to reduce your gas emissions over the next 12 months. Mine, BTW is to run my business trucks on B-something large (100 in the summers, enough petro-diesel to keep the lines unclogged in winter). I haven't yet figured out what that translates into in terms of CO2 avoided and CO2 from current accounts.

Tom

Keith I am exhausted after reading all of this. I think it should be good enough to say go back and read it again.

You have a ton more patience than I do. All the best  : Derick