>WORKSHOP TOOLS
>

>DRILL PRESS : A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat
>metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and
>flings your tea across the room, splattering it against that freshly
>painted motorcycle part you were drying.

Also useful for spraying cutting oil all over the clothes you forget to
change...

>WIRE WHEEL : Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under
>the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and
>hard-earned work calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouch...."

Makes nice little flakes to fly into your latest batch...

>ELECTRIC HAND DRILL : Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes
>until you die of old age.

Also speeds up when you lest expect it - flinging Methoxide suffused oil
where it shouldn't go..

>PLIERS : Used to round off bolt heads.

Also pinch fingers

>HACKSAW : One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
>principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion,
>and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your
>future becomes.

Also shatters just as the hardware store closes

>VICE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available,
>they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your
>hand.

Also good to braze to your generator trolley

>OXYACETYLENE TORCH : Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable
>objects in your workshop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside
>the wheel hub you want the bearing race out of.

See above

>WHITWORTH SOCKETS : Once used for working on older British cars and
>motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16  socket
>you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

See old spanner, or for those of us in the Colonies, Lucas, the Prince
of Darkness

>HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK : Used for lowering a car to the ground after you have
>installed your new disk brake pads, trapping the jack handle firmly under
>the bumper.

Also good for making big humps in the floor of your car.  Drink the
pints after...

>EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4 : Used for levering a car upward off a
>hydraulic jack handle.
>

>TWEEZERS : A tool for removing wood splinters.
>

>PHONE : Tool for calling your neighbour to see if he has another hydraulic
>floor jack.
>

>" SNAP-ON" GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for
>spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-shit off your boot.
>

>E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR : A tool ten times harder than any known
>drill bit that snaps off in bolt holes you couldn't use anyway.

See drill press

>TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST : A tool for testing the tensile strength on
>everything you forgot to disconnect.

Also good for bending that big steel beam in your roof.

>CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER : A large pry-bar that inexplicably has
>an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.
>

>AVIATION METAL SNIPS : See hacksaw.

Loose bolt at the locus

>TROUBLE LIGHT : The home mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a
>drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which
>is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, it's
>main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that
>105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of
>the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat
>misleading.

Always needs a new bulb.

>PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER : Normally used to stab the lids of old-style
>paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; but can also be used,
>as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.
>

>AIR COMPRESSOR : A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning
>power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that
>travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts
>last over tightened 58 years ago by someone at ERCO, and neatly rounds off
>their heads.
>

>PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket
>you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

or the skin off your knuckles