On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 06:37:47PM -0700, Jeromie Reeves wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >Indeed. You can already switch to safer and open replacements of web browser
> >and mail reader as well as office suite (especially with just-released
> >OpenOffice 2.0). Isn't it great ? There's a choice finally for average
> >user.
> >
> This choice exists on Windows to.

That's exactly what I meant :) You can either use Windows or FreeBSD,
or something else and still benefit from the same software.

> The core windows OS can be very stable
> (just needs configured correctly, not hard
> just takes more then a average Joe). I personally use OO 2.0, Firefox,
> and Thunderbird (as does my wife) over IE
> except in those very rare cases where a site is IE only. Avast is hands
> down the best Windows based AV there is and
> it is free (for home use) too.
> >
> >No need to. Just wait for unix desktop environments to become mature
> >enough to be widely usable.
> >

> Define mature enough?

It can be said it's mature when you have consistent desktop environment
that handles all subsystems for various components of operating system
and hardware running it. So far each desktop (mainly KDE and Gnome)
differ too much in basic areas to write a single piece of code that
fits in both of them. Also, they have different approach to hardware
interaction (scanners poorly supported, for instance), and they're
way too slow on older boxes (not all machines are modern Intel P4).

> I think its more the add on software that needs to
> mature more then the OS and GUI environment.

Agreed.

> One of the issues I find with OSS is there are to many options.

Yes, it's great advance and obstacle at once.

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.iit.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org