I am not sure how to adjust the injection timing on the mercs. If I
recall, they have an in line injection pump that is gear driven,
rather than the rotary one driven from the timing belt that I'm used
to.  On the rotary ones, you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the pump in
place and physically rotate the pump a bit, while using a dial gauge
in the back of the pump to check exactly where it's set.

We did run a '74 300D on heated WVO with no changes to injection
timing, and it made a little whitish smoke, but the black smoke went
away.  Are you heating the WVO, or just thinning it with biodiesel?
If excess black smoke is the problem, I am not sure you want to retard
the timing. Generally you advance the timing more to decrease black
smoke.  Although this also drives up exhaust gas temperatures so you
have watch you don't overheat the pistons.

http://www.coloradobiodiesel.com/injectors/svo.html  has injectors
specifically designed for use with higher viscosity fuels.  If you're
going to get more detailed than just sticking biodiesel in there and
going, like I have done, you might consider these.

Zeke