On 22-Nov-05, at 5:47 PM, Peter Martin wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't catch all the previous thread!
>
> Any of you have experience with just having a modified sine wave
> powering computer equipment?

Anything that uses a switching power supply should be OK, because the
first thing it does with the incoming AC is to convert it to DC. CRT
monitors and laser printers might have problems. Amplified speakers or
other audio equipment will probably not work well.

"Modified sine wave" is a marketing term. It's actually a modified
square wave; the unit steps the battery up to a higher DC voltage "V"
and then switches the output between 3 states: +V, 0, -V. This is
easier and cheaper than generating something that actually looks like a
sine wave. The "RMS" (= "average" for a non-EE) value of the voltage is
the same as the sine wave it is simulating, but the peak value is
different and there will be strong harmonic frequencies present (as
others have mentioned).