Looks like my immersion heater went south last night so I need to
replace it.  It was the stock 110 v 1500 watt unit that came with my 8
gallon hot water tank.  I understand that some folks are using stainless
steel units.  Also I understand that if I install a 220 v unit and run
it on 110v I can get rid of the ginormous variac I am currently using to
throttle back the power.  I like that idea, so where do I get a
stainless one??
Also here is an anecdote which may be of interest to the group.  I was
busy for a few days so I left the latest batch of oil sitting in the
reactor vessel after vacuum drying it a few days ago with the heater on
low (abt 30 VAC this is just enough to keep it at 50 deg)  When I went
to add methoxide I noticed a little condensate had collected in the
recirc line which is cooler ( room temp uninsulated).  It was only about
1 ml of water I estimate.  I had already begun mixing the methoxide so I
crossed my fingers and left the water in.  I didn't notice anything
strange and got a good split.  Everything looks normal this morning.  I
have yet to wash though......but no sign of soaps, emulsions or any
third layer at this point.  I wonder just how much water one can get
away with?  Does anyone have an idea?

Joe