But if you do this those light molecules will eventually get jostled to the top and then hop into the air space in the container above the surface of the liquid eventually building up pressure in the closed container until it reaches the vapour pressure of the more volatile liquid (at that temperature) where it will stabilize with an equal number of molecules evaporating and dissolving back into the liquid.  When you open the container you will hear a little hiss and you will release a puff of explosive vapor into the local area.  Or if the container is open eventually the gas will all evaporate out of your BD.  If you cut it with kerosene which still has a vapor pressure that is low at room temperature you will have to use more but it will tend to stay as mixed and will not be as hazardous. If you spill some, you will not have to worry about a static discharge in your sweater blowing you to kingdom come as you scrub it off the floor.

Joe

bob allen wrote:
Howdy Mike,

Mike Weaver wrote:

I've done some initial research but haven't delved into one.  Sooner or
later I'll find an oil furnace someone is throwing away and see what I
can do.
If I had to cut the BD with another agent to make it easier to use I
would do that.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Gasoline?
I have 55 gallons of 99% Isopropyl alcohol - is that suitable?

The vapor pressure of a mixture of liquids is the weighted average, by
mole fraction, of the vapor pressures of the contributing liquids.  (the
vapor pressure is the tendency of a liquid to turn in to a gas- the
boiling point of a liquid is defined as the point when the vapor
pressure of a liquid equals atmospheric pressure) Hence one would want
to mix the most volatile, flammable liquid you can that is miscible with
the biodiesel.

If I were doing it I would start my mixing small amounts of white gas or
gasoline with the biodiesel until I got the minimum proportion which
supported combustion under the desired conditions.

  Isopropyl alcohol would work, but I think it has a higher vapor
pressure and lower heat of combustion than gasoline so it would take a
higher proportion to achieve the same effect.

-Mike

Zeke Yewdall wrote:

What about the type of burners that are designed to use a liquid fuel
directly rather than volatilize a liquid fuel?   Like fuel oil
furnaces, and waste engine oil burners.  All of these I have seen are
in the 100,000 Btu/hr range though -- if you could find one more like
10 or 20 kBtu, it might work well for heating the reactor.

http://www.espar.com/ something like this may be able to be modified.
Not cheap though.