Hi Joe,HI all,
    I have found a cheap alternative for the vacuum
pumps.In the scrap yard you can find a vacuum
amplifier from diesel Peugeot or maybe from another
car-the diesels usually need an amplifier to increase
the force to the break discs-gasoline engines take the
vacuum from the air inlet.Connecting an electric motor
to the unit to drive and connecting with appropriate
pipes to the vessel where the condenser is plumbed
will help to save energy.One point more-leave as less
room in the vessel to be vacuumed as possible since
the debit is not that mach.The unit has a
self-sufficient lubricating chamber and the rest is
question of RPM`s.
  Joe,I use both pump and mix washing but lately-only
mix and I invented a kind of trick to shorten the
settling time.Since I use hot water(35-45 degrees
C),after mixing for 5 min at high speed I let it
settle for 15 min,when the BD is almost separated with
some emulsion still separating.I pump the emulsion in
a different tank to settle-it is 85-90% water-and
start the next wash.When the BD in the second tank
accumulates,I give it another wash and let it dry
under vacuum at 60 deg C.But this procedure is taken
when I am not in a hurry,usually I use a marine fuel
separator to avoid any settling times.
  My batches are 800l four-five times per
week,depending of the supply with row sunflower oil
and one batch WVO per 10 days for fuel for my burner.
  Actually I somehow lost interest for the one-stage
process it is a kind of routine and now I try to work
out the co-solvent process-if it works just imagine a
reaction completed within 5 min!If it works...
  Best to all
  Rumen