You are right David.  Induction generators are essentially the same as AC induction motors.

On 1/24/06, David Miller < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Paul S Cantrell wrote:

> Mark,
> I agree that a 50 kVA genset is overkill unless you live in a mansion,
> BUT you can check with your local utility (Reliant? or Coop?) about
> Net Metering.  Since your meter would run backward, you could 'store'
> power into the grid when you run it and pull power from the grid when
> you aren't.  Then during outages you could run it and disconnect from
> the grid, so you don't electrocute anyone!  Anyway, the trick is
> convincing them that biodiesel will qualify as 'renewable,' which will
> depend somewhat on whether your account rep is a yokel or a
> semi-educated yokel.  ;-)

Is it as simple as this?  My understanding is that you can't take your
normal genset and connect it to the grid - getting it in phase and
keeping it synced is a problem.

You CAN just use a standard AC motor and "overdrive" it - if you turn it
a little faster than its designed to run it produces electricity rather
than consumes it, and it stays sync'd because the grid is providing the
excitation.  But that leaves you with a motor to feed the grid and a
generator to power the house.

Anybody know for sure?

--- David