Joe wrote:
"Years ago I met a kid who could not form a sentence verbally
but put him in front of a typewriter and he composed the most
beautiful poetry.  It  was hard to believe."

Joe,

This is similar to what happens to many autistic people who get
computer devices that speak aloud what is typed. A Nobel Prize
winning professor at Stanford University told me how his autistic
son, a young adult, had never been able to speak. He could
read, but had showed no interest in writing.. When he was given
a “speaking computer” he was thrilled. The first thing he wrote
was how terribly alone he had felt all his life because he could
not make his voice heard. I took such a device to an autistic
school, where a 15-year-old boy who had never spoken tried it. I
have never seen a look of such surprise and delight as he found
a “voice” for himself. It inspired me to create a program that
builds words with graphic symbols for sounds instead of letters
so people who cannot read or spell can use these devices.

Bob Allen asked me about this comment from me:
“I was told that many autistic people who can't speak are able to
communicate with thoughts instead of words. A mother of one of
the students at the autistic school said she had tried this with
some of the students and it worked amazingly well”

Bob’s question:
“ok, I'll bite, how did they communicate with thoughts?  are we
talking mind reading here?  esp? If so there is a million dollars
waiting for them- they need to get in touch with James Randi,
post haste. http://www.randi.org/research/index.html”

Bob,

This mother said the first time she tried it was with a 7-year-old
autistic girl who had never spoken and was always very
hyperactive. This woman started sending thoughts and feelings
about what a wonderful girl she is and how fun it is to spend
time with her. The child stopped fidgeting and looked up in
shock at the woman, then got the biggest grin and just sat there
smiling at her for the rest of their time together. Of course, the
woman didn’t know if the child was sending thoughts or just
feelings, but she seemed to be sending something.

It sounded pretty far-fetched to me so I tried the same thing with
a teenage boy at the autistic school who seemed lost in his own
world as the other kids in the room listened to a guitar player
sing. As he sat alone looking at the floor, I “directed” thoughts
and feelings to him about what a great kid he was. He had the
same reaction as the girl. He looked up in surprise, smiling
broadly toward me the whole time I was in the room. I wished I
could “hear” if he was sending me thoughts, but I could easily
see he was sending feelings of gratitude.

It would be hard to know how to test such things in a way that
would be scientific enough to win the million dollars offered by
Randi. The Soviets extensively studied such things during the
Cold War because they saw the value of extrasensory
communication during wartime. The book “Psychic Discoveries
Behind the Iron Curtain” talks about these studies. They may
have come up with scientific verification methods.

I don’t know anything about Twyman and indigo children except
that they have a community in Oregon, but I do know that
researching how to communicate more effectively with autistic
children and adults would be worthwhile.

Marilyn

>snip
>I googled Ashland, OR and indigo and got numerous hits about
a movie, but this one is about, well
>see for yourself.
>
>http://selectsmart.com/twyman.html
>
>INDIGO: THE COLOR OF MONEY
>
>...MISLEADING REPORTS OF SCIENTIFIC PROOF
>
>Twyman reports scientific proof of several spurious claims,
including that children develop ESP at
>his fairs after Brain Respiration (BR) training. BR was created
by Ilchi Lee, aka Seung Heun Lee,
>founder of Dahn Centers and many other organizations. (Lee
and Walsch are also affiliated). Twyman
>and Lee have reported that the University of California at Irvine,
specifically the Center for Aging
>and Dementia, has researched and "confirmed" the effects of
BR. However, this department at UCI
>tells me they have not conducted any studies on Lee's BR
program, per se -- let alone confirmed its
>paranormal claims.
>
>OILY-SKINNED PSYCHIC CHILDREN
>
>At Twyman's psychic fairs for children, kids are persuaded to
believe that sticking a lightweight
>spoon to their forehead is a result of psychokinetic power. The
fact is that everyone can stick a
>lightweight spoon to their forehead if they first rub the spoon on
their skin, especially the
>forehead and chin, coating the spoon with slightly sticky
sebum.

>X-RAY VISION
>
>At Twyman's psychic children's fairs, parents paid for their kids'
ESP powers to be tested (charging
>subjects is almost unheard-of in scientific research) before and
after participation in Ilchi Lee's
>BR training. The children were asked to identify certain shapes,
colors, or simple words while
>blindfolded. Lee shows a video at his website of blindfolded
children reading books held close to
>the face. But, the blindfolds were provided and the tests
conducted by the program's staff.
>Naturally, Twyman and Lee report amazing results.
>
>Magicians and paranormal investigators have continually
exposed "x-ray vision" as flimflammery, e.g.
>perhaps the blindfolded person can see through a space
between the blindfold and the nose, a pinhole
>in the blindfold, cloth that appears opaque but is translucent
when held close to the face, or
>verbal cues are provided by testers or shills. Sometimes it’s a
matter of working with
>probabilities. For example, when asked to pick a number
between one and ten, the number seven is

wrote:

>>>Michael
>>>
>>>I was lead to believe that the autism diagnosis was a
mis-diagnosis and

>>used
>>

>>>only because the doctors/educators did not know what to do
with them.

>>Actually my son has PDD Pervasice Development Disorder.
Autism has
>>come to represent a spectrum of diagnosis's. As the
Disorders are
>>being understood the are begining to seperate.
>>

>>>I was also lead to believe that these children normally do not
speak much
>>>before 4 years of age and then they begin with full
sentences.

>>Again not all children under the autism spectrum meet this
criteria.
>>Some do and some do not. Then those with the delay are
often unable to
>>fully express concepts such as feelings.
>>
>>snip

elists.org

>>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>>http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
>>
>>Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives
(50,000 messages):
>>http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/

sts.org