Tom,
I did not write the text you quoted.  Bjorn Carey did.

I have also read that many of the flex-fuel vehicles sold in the U.S.
were not marketed as such, and their owners may well not be aware of the
capability.  (The reason for building the vehicles is to benefit from
the renewable/dual fuel bonus in current CAFE rules in the U.S.)

Yes, it is possible to find out if specific vehicles are flex-fuel
(ethanol E85) capable.

You can check the fuel filler door for relevant labelling.
You can contact the manufacturer to find out if a specific model is
E85-compatible.  Most of the automakers provide this via their websites.

Or you can try these links:
http://www.gpreethanol.com/e85flexfuelvehicles.php
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/vbg/fleets/search_type.html

I'm not aware of after-market E85 conversion kits, but it's not
something I have researched.  I was under the impression that high
levels of ethanol could react with certain metals in the engines leading
to maintenance problems.  It would not surprise me that the difference
in building an E85-capable engine would cost only $100 more than the
regular version in the manufacturing process.  However, as a retrofit,
that wouldn't cover 2 hours of shop time, let alone any parts.

Darryl

--
Darryl McMahon                  http://www.econogics.com
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?