On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:07 PM, JJJN wrote:

> I just got 50 #s of KOH for next to nothing. It is in flake
> form but it is carbonated to some extent (unkown).
> I have some lab grade KOH that is near absolute also.
>
> Can anyone give me a complete procedure to make a
> comparison (Strength %) of one to the other?

Make equal strength solutions of both (eg, 1g in 1 liter of
water), and titrate one ml of oil (the same oil, of course)
using each solution. Any difference in the amount of
solution needed will tell you the proportional difference
in KOH content. This is approximate, since the carbonate
is also slightly basic.

BTW, assuming you make your methoxide with the same
KOH you use to titrate, it really doesn't matter, within reason,
how carbonated it is. You'll just need more to achieve neutr-
ality in your titration, and then you'll use that same amount
when you make your methoxide.

-K