Andres Secco wrote:
> Dear all,
> Magnets are being offered through spam e-mail and its has been so since
> early '90 ties.
> The professional use of magnets is very wide. My experience in industrial
> cooling towers, boilers and engines is very possitive and in some cases have
> it documented.
> How it works? This is the link http://www.tinet.org/~sje/mag_fuel.htm

Yes indeed.  Pasted from the page:

/ Fuel mainly consists of hydrocarbons. Groupings of hydrocarbons, when
flowing through a magnetic field, change their orientations of
magnetization in a direction opposite to that of the magnetic field. The
molecules of hydrocarbon change their configuration. At the same time
intermolecular force is considerably reduced or depressed. These
mechanisms are believed to help to disperse oil particles and to become
finely divided. In addition, hydrogen ions in fuel and oxygen ions in
air or steam are magnetized to form magnetic domains which are believed
to assist in atomizing fuel into finer particles. /

/     Generally a liquid or gas fuel used for an internal combustion
engine is composed of a set of molecules. Each molecule includes a
number of atoms, which is composed of a nucleus and electrons orbiting
around their nucleus. The molecules have magnetic moments in themselves,
and the rotating electrons cause magnetic phenomena. Thus, positive (+)
and negative (-) electric charges exists in the fuel's molecules. For
this reason, the fuel particles of the negative and positive electric
charges are not split into more minute particles. Accordingly, the fuels
are not actively interlocked with oxygen during combustion, thereby
causing incomplete combustion. To improve the above, the fuels have been
required to be decomposed and ionized. The ionization of the fuel
particles is accomplished by the supply of magnetic force from a magnet. /

/    The resultant conditioned fuel/air mixture magnetized in opposite
polarities burns more completely, producing higher engine output, better
fuel economy, more power and most importantly reduces the amount of
hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust.
Another benefits if these devices is that magnetically charged fuel and
air molecules with opposite polarities dissolve carbon build-up in
carburetor jets, fuel injectors, and combustion chambers help to clean
up the engine and maintain the clean condition. /

Jeez, doesn't this set off any snake-oil alarm?

"/For this reason, the fuel particles of the negative and positive
electric charges are not split into more minute particles."

/and/

//Accordingly, the fuels are not actively interlocked with oxygen during
combustion, thereby causing incomplete combustion./

If this is a scientific analysis some of my teachers are going to be
eating their textbooks.
> There are many suppliers of those small devices for passenger cars and at
> lower prices os 20 bucks, but the real magnets cost much more than thant.
> Check this link
> http://www.magnetic-innovations.co.uk/

Yes indeed!  Magnetic products for sale.  "*SAVE 15% ON YOUR FUEL BILLS
WITH EMMISSION MASTER!"  Guaranteed!

*They'll give me a money back guarantee that I can save 15% on my fuel
bill.  So my 50 MPG TDI can now get 57.5 MPG.  Pity the poor VW
engineers, stupid enough to spend millions refining the engine when they
could get another 15% by adding magnets in the right place.  What on
earth could be wrong with them?

> I remember scientific information related and will post soon, if I can find
> it over the net.

I'd like to see some real scientific information.  Not web sites run by
people selling magnets, real research.  Like Bob Allen said, a peer
reviewed journal would be nice.  Where other scientists review claims
and articles, and often times perform their own research to confirm
results.  Have *you* applied this and seen *any* increase in milage
while changing *nothing* else?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the willingness of people to believe
miracles of magnets seems overwhelming.  They cure cancer, defeat
gravity, energize fuel, reduce pollution, and make rainy days turn sunny.

Not really, but there seem to be no end of people willing to pay good
money believing such nonsense.

--- David