>Is this a surprise?  How many people do you know, reguardless of age
>that don't take at least one prescription drug a day?

   Me (39), all of my step children and their partners (20 to 32),
most of my grandchildren, my father (72) and most of my friends. I
know more people who don't than who do. I have never in my life taken
any prescription medications despite the fact that both of my parents
are family physicians. My point is not that health care in the US is
anything like healthy, but that it is not forced on us. We do have a
choice. If people make the choice to take, and even demand, the
drugs, a system based on capitalism will provide those people with
drugs. If people demanded health, that same system would provide
health.

>For us, it is just us, everyone we know takes them.  Doctors in this
>country tell people that what they eat makes no difference to their
>health.  Diabetics are told that sugar intake has nothing to do with
>diabetes.  Go figure.

   Some doctors do tell us that and other doctors focus heavily on
diet, exercise, and environment. People who want to be allowed to eat
anything and never exercise will seek out those doctors that meet
their desire. People who truly want to achieve health without drugs
can and do find the doctors that will travel that road with them.
   Seven months ago at 57, my wife was within weeks of a massive heart
attack. She experienced some chest pains and went to the hospital.
After a procedure to install a stent, she has been on three
prescriptions. However, she is working towards addressing the issues
(stress, blood pressure, weight, cholesterol) with diet, exercise,
and environment. Although dubious about her ability to make the
necessary changes without drugs, her cardiologist is very supportive
of her trying. So far, she has reduced most of the prescriptions by
half.

John
--
John Morris