Conditions on these industrial farms cause disease to get an easy foothold but what has not been mentioned is the breeds. Some of these birds gain so quickly they have leg problems. I also think the breeding program that selected them did not have disease resistance as a criteria. The heritage breeds need to be saved in many instances as they are threatened. My daughter has selected breeds for their quality instead of quantity and surprise - they are on endangered lists. Be they birds sheep cattle or pigs. She has kurobuta hogs (Berkshire) and the economics is good too. At least the Japanese want quality over size.
http://www.americanberkshire.com/Aboutus/ABA/ABA_Homepage.htm
As Keiths information shows hogs properly raised dont smell and they build your soil. They are pets too. It is interesting to see these great animals roll on their back so she can scratch their tummy.
If you have some ground and want the best pork of your life check it out.

Kirk

Alan Petrillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Keith Addison wrote:

> "Backyard or free-range poultry are not fuelling the current wave of
> bird flu outbreaks stalking large parts of the world. The deadly H5N1
> strain of bird flu is essentially a problem of industrial poultry
> practices."
> http://www.grain.org/briefings/?id=194
> GRAIN | Briefings | 2006 | The poultry industry's central role in the
> bird flu crisis
[snip]

What I think is funny is that one of the recommended things to prevent
the spread of Bird Flu is _more_ enclosed factory farms!

Duh!

AP