regards
tallex

Climate of dissent

Sunday, March 19, 2006

  James Hansen, a top NASA scientist and former Ridgewood
 resident, touched off a political ruckus in January when
 he told The New York Times that the Bush administration
 was trying to censor his public comments about global warming.

Hansen has been warning about the catastrophic potential
 of climate change for three decades, often against the
 wishes of Republican White Houses that dismissed the
 problem or advocated a slower approach to reining in
 greenhouse gases.

The censorship charges sparked similar complaints from
 other government scientists and prompted NASA's administrator
 to promise "scientific openness" at the agency. A 24-year-old
 press officer at NASA, who had been keeping tabs on Hansen,
 resigned after admitting that he lied on a resume about his
 college degree.

Hansen sat down with Record Staff Writer Alex Nussbaum earlier
 this month to discuss the politics of science, the Bush
administration and why he thinks humanity is running out of
time to prevent an ecological crisis.

THE RECORD: How have things changed since you went public with
 your censorship claims?

HANSEN: For the moment, I'm just ignoring that issue because
 NASA has now appointed a committee to decide on what
communications policies should be, and they haven't finished
 deliberations. The NASA administrator has said everything
 right. He even said if you want to say something related
 to policy, that's OK as long as you say it's your own opinion,
 it's not NASA policy or position.

So I hope that NASA will be a good example. Some of the other
 agencies are even more strict, and in that there may have
 been some progress. In the case of NOAA [the National
 Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration], they have publicly
 taken a position that there's no relation between global
 warming and hurricane intensity and told their scientists
 they weren't supposed to dispute that, which is not a very
 good scientific approach. After I raised that issue, then
 they did change their position and took off their Web site
 the official position about the relationship. So that's progress.

In my more than 30 years of government, I've never seen
such constraints on communication between scientists and
 the public. At EPA, for example, there's very strong
constraint on communication, which I find objectionable
 because I feel that we're paid by the taxpayers, and we
 should be free to communicate. Responsible scientific
opinions should not be decided by bureaucrats; they should
 be decided by scientists. As long as you make clear that
 you're not setting policy or attempting to set policy,
then I don't think we should be so tightly constrained.

You said you were threatened with "dire consequences" if
 you publicly disputed White House policies. What do you
 think that meant?

That was said by one of the public affairs people. I'm
sure that the new policy will not allow that sort of
pressure. It was getting out of hand. In my opinion it
 was coming from the top. The inaccurate impression
that was eventually left by The New York Times stories
 was that this was created by a 24-year-old. But the
 attempted constraints on me were really coming from
his bosses. The highest levels in public affairs, the
 top two people, are both political appointees. It
should be interesting to see how the approach will
 change with the new policies, which should be decided
 on in the next few weeks.

Your outspokenness on climate change has put you at
 odds with political superiors for decades. Why have
 you continued to speak out?

We're really near what I call the tipping point or
point of no return. We've already had 1.4 degrees
 Fahrenheit of global warming, and there's another
 degree that's in the pipeline, without any further
increase in greenhouse gases, because it takes the
system time to respond because of the thermal inertia
 of the ocean. There's still more in the pipeline
 because of the infrastructure that exists – vehicles
 and power plants. Even if we decide that we should
 slow down the emissions, there's no way to stop them
 on a dime. So there's probably at least 1 degree
 Fahrenheit additional in the pipeline.

I think that's the highest that we dare let the global
 temperature go. That would make 3.5 degrees, and
 that's as warm as it has been in the last million
 years. If you follow a business-as-usual scenario
 with continuing to increase the emissions the way
 we have in recent years, the warming would be 5
degrees Fahrenheit on top of the 1.4, and that would
 be as warm as it has been since the middle Pliocene,
 which is 3 million years ago.

Three million years ago, the sea level was at least
 25 meters [about 80 feet] higher, and there was no
 sea ice in the Arctic. Polar bears and seals and
 other wildlife there that depend on the ice would
 be pushed off the planet. There's a lot of other
plant and animal life that would go extinct, especially
 the rich diversity of alpine species. They can try
 to migrate up the mountain as it gets warmer, but
 there's a limit. The area's getting smaller and
smaller as you go up and the soils may not exist to
 allow things to migrate.

Adapting to a larger sea level change is going to be
 practically impossible in the coastal regions. It
 would be happening at a rate of a foot per decade,
 but you don't feel it as a gradual effect. You feel
 the effect at the time of nor'easters or hurricanes
 or other storms and that destroys infrastructure,
 and then you rebuild. But you're going to be forced
 to rebuild at a higher level and you're going to
be continually moving. So a large sea level change
is something that may be unthinkable.

I argue we should try to limit additional warming
 to 1 degree Celsius, which is 2 degrees Fahrenheit.
 There are still going to be impacts from that. But
 that would be in the range that has existed in the
 last million years, or near the top of the range.
It's a lot more feasible to adapt to those terms.

What's this episode taught you about the intersection
 between science and politics?

The thing which caused the consternation was the statement
 at the end of my talk at the American Geophysical
 Union meeting in December, where I said that the
difficulty [in addressing global warming] was related
 to the influence of special interests. The only way
 to overcome the special interests in a democracy is
 for the people to make their views and wishes known,
 but in order to do that the public needs to be
accurately and honestly informed.

To be successful in science you need to present both
 sides of an argument without bias, and that hopefully
 is what I'm trying to do. This is obviously a very
difficult problem. The United Nations has set up an
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the IPCC.
 They worked seven years to produce a very thick document.
 But it's so thick that they have to produce a summary
 for policy makers. But the policy makers are involved
in the writing of that summary, and that proves to be
 a sticky problem.

You grew up in Iowa and studied at the University of Iowa
 under legendary astrophysicist James Van Allen, discoverer
 of the radiation belt surrounding the Earth. Did that
 background prepare you for the public debates you've
 taken up?

The example I gave of Van Allen's influence on students was
 his demeanor. He was just calm. He didn't get flustered.
 When I went to NASA, I heard that his proposal for an
experiment on a mission to Jupiter was not selected because
 NASA headquarters was not very happy with him; he
criticized NASA repeatedly for its emphasis on putting
 men in space instead of automated spacecraft. When
I mentioned that to him in a letter, he just said,
"I know that my positions have not endeared me to peopl
 at NASA headquarters, but I take the position that
I'm dealing with honorable men."

It's a good attitude.

Climate of dissent

<
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzOTcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4OTg1MzAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNA==

< http://tinyurl.com/qrf2z >

76 percent of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
warming

< http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0315-climate_poll.html

Preparing New York City for the Coming Energy Crisis

< http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/articles/672 >

Bush administration violated 1992 alternative-fuel law, court rules

< http://www.wastenews.com/headlines2.html?id=1142277506 >

Oil firms face U.S. Congress on profits, mergers

<
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=mergersNews&storyID=2006-03-14T075210Z_01_N13290557_RTRIDST_0_ENERGY-CONGRESS.XML

Clearing the air: Court blocks EPA rules - Thousands of power plants, factories
had been exempted from upgrades

< http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11879729/   >

Winter Warmest Ever on Record in Canada

< http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/3720887.html >

3 Out of 4 Americans Fault Federal Leadership on Global Warming & Alternative
Energy, Back Growing State & Local Efforts

<
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2006/0004320939&EDATE=

A climate change of heart

<
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-linden14mar14,0,873032.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

Global warming behind spread of diseases - scientist
 < http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=282544&ssid=26&sid=ENV >

Invasive Species Taking Over Our Homes and Land

 < http://www.alternate-energy.net/N/news.php?detail=n1142844247.news >

Keep a wary eye on the weather

< http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/books/side/3729214.html >

Paying for our water would make us value each drop

< http://news.independent.co.uk/business/comment/article352098.ece >

Get your daily alternative energy news

 Alternate Energy Resource Network
   1000+ news sources-resources