Michael Redler wrote:

> News: Hot rod engineer makes six-stroke engine
> 17 Mar 06 15:14

        Bruce Crower is one of those guys who just isn't content within the
"box".  Back in the early 1980's, he was marketing a "compound
expansion" camshaft.  The idea was that a high compression, long
stroke engine could run with a very short intake valve duration.
Reducing the intake charge by 1 / 3, compressing to 15:1 and allowing
the resulting gases to fully expand, Crower squeezed very impressive
fuel economy figures from a 5.7 liter small block Chevy.

        The engine had reduced torque, but improved horsepower because of the
scavanging effect its odd valve timing produced at high rpm.  This was
just one example of how thinking differently can result in creative
problem solving.  In the case of the compound expansion camshaft,
decreasing fuel quality killed the thing, but I've always wanted to
try that approach with hydrogen, ethanol or propane.

        And then there's direct injection, rotary valves, supplemental H2
injection, a hybrid stirling cycle and a whole HOST of other ideas I'd
love to try . . .  It's too bad I'm not independently wealthy!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca