Keith Addison wrote:

> Anyway, I guess this is the kind of person you'd be voting against,
> and you'd probably lose, yet again. This guy just applied to join the
> list:

> Which sounds like he doesn't vote for the Oil Party, but it turns out
> he does. Before he got accepted he had a look at some of the recent
> stuff in the list archives and got cross about it:

        Jingoism rears its very ugly head again!

>>From what I saw on the first page, most of the forum is bashing bush
>
>>and the military. I find all of this unpatriotic and harmful to the
>>US. Is this all that these people have in their life? I joined this
>>to learn about biofuel, not all of this $#!^.

        What's really strange about this, is that in some other forums to
which I have subscribed over the years, "off-topic" commentary is
roundly condemned, yet every once in awhile some "uberpatriot" sneaks
a shot over the bow.  It's often couched in the language of
"independence", as if that's a goal reasonably and appropriately
achieved in this era, but the underlying attitude of "I deserve
whatever I want and I don't want to hear any criticism from you" is
part of the reason the world finds itself in its current mess.
Interestingly, these kinds of remarks don't draw the same kind of
scathing rebuke often leveled at people around here, people who write
with far greater depth and intellect.

>>It is amazing what you people think. All you do is complain, bitch
>>and moan, yet offer no solutions.

        A little bit of reading and understanding on the part of this person
would have helped, don't you agree?

> Dunno why he'd thought he'd joined, all he did was apply (spike!).
>
> He wants to kill us, we should all be put to death by having our
> heads cut off with a dull kitchen knife. I guess that's what the
> glorious military's for, to kill people Americans think are
> threatening them, or threatening their cherished notions perhaps.
> Seems he fancies a bit of good old torture on the side too while he's
> at it. "Thank God", he says. I suppose he's a Christian, or a
> so-called Christian, the "God is hate" type of Christian, ie not a
> Christian at all.

        I'm really glad you make this distinction.  You can tell a tree by
examining its fruit, and the scriptures are QUITE clear that no one
who harbors hatred in his heart genuinely loves God.

> In fact I don't think that people who respond to dissenting views
> with such outright hatred are real Americans at all, no matter where
> they were born. But they're the ones who call the shots, for 25 years
> already.

        Honestly, Keith, sometimes you create the impression that all was
sweetness and light over here before Mr. Reagan came into office.  I'm
old enough to remember the Watts Riots and imagery of people being
sprayed with fire truck hoses in the streets.  The attitudes that lead
to the kinds of abuses we've discussed in this forum are as old as
humanity itself.  I just watched a National Geographic special on
chimpanzees and bonobos, and many of the same aggressive behaviors
that we decry in ourselves exist in the larger subspecies of ape.
(Bonobos apparently solve their problems with sex, but let's NOT go
there!)  Given our genetic similarity to these creatures, it's likely
that the attitudes underlying jingoism and other forms of superiority
that we project are very old problems that were present in our
ancestors before humanity branched off from the great apes.

> Funny how they always want to kill people, he's not the first. A
> brain-damaged prat calling himself "AirCooled", Cary S. Campbell from
> South Florida, who got the auto-boot for the same reason about a
> month ago, sent a mindless offlist message titled "The End of the
> OPEN Forum or THE DECLINE AND EVENTUAL FALL OF THE BIOFUEL MAILING
> LIST"

        Oh yeah, I got that one.  I'm frequently the target of posts from
confused, former list members baffled by their ejection from this
forum.  (Some people seem to think I'm "reasonable", and that I hold
"sway" around here and can get them reinstated!  I've never been the
Alpha Male type.)  One confused soul tried to prove from the Bible
that God intended George Bush to win the election so that a
"Christian" agenda could be imposed upon the world.

        If that's the case (and I see no evidence that it is), why would God
have to resort to dishonesty in order to pull that off?

        He persisted in arguing with me about this for two or three e-mails,
then realized I wasn't going to give in and simply vanished.

> These people are sane, eh? They live with their families in their
> neighbourhoods and go to their jobs and to church on Sundays and
> fantasise about shooting people, cutting their heads off with a blunt
> kitchen knife and sticking daggers in their eyes just for fun. Sane.

        I wrote a song about racism once that deals with the apparent
"normalcy" of North American society.  One lines goes:

                "We're expecting peace when our leaders meet
                        while we hate the man who lives down the street
                        and in anger, we lose all aplomb
                                and resolve our disputes with a fist, or a gun,
or a bomb"

> This is sound advice - there's nothing you can do about them, so do
> nothing about them, don't waste your efforts.

        Todd seems to have more energy for this sort of thing.  Personally, I
find it exhausting.

> D'you think there's maybe some money to be made selling these guys
> dull kitchen knives on the Web? LOL!

        That's about as ethical as selling weapons into a civil war!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca