The real problem as I see it is it is terribly under reported and also misdiagnosed.
Has been here for years and for conspiracists the first reported cases I knew of were Colorado Springs. I understand 40% of the deer tested there were positive.
Kirk

CJD 'poses threat to thousands'
7.30AM, Mon Mar 27 2006
http://www.itv.com/news/britain_876615.html

Thousands more people may be at risk of the human form of Mad Cow
Disease than previously thought, researchers have warned.

Scientists in Edinburgh said a long incubation period for variant
Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease vCJD, together with an ability to pass it on
through blood transfusions and surgical instruments, has the potential
to create a "significant public health issue".

They concluded that vCJD could lie in the body for many years without
showing any symptoms.

Due to long incubation times for the disease, a "significant level" of
underlying vCJD may already be present in the population, they said.

The experts also found that vCJD could be passed from human to human
through secondary transmission - such as blood transfusions and
contaminated surgical equipment - "with relative efficiency".

The study said people may not know they have the agent for vCJD and thus
there is a risk "of further disease transmission" through blood
transfusions or equipment.

The report said: "All individuals could be susceptible to secondary
transmission of vCJD through routes such as blood transfusion.

"A lengthy preclinical disease is predicted by these models, which may
represent a risk for further disease transmission and thus a significant
public health issue."