BBC reports that Iceland will drill a hole into a
volcano so it can tap heat from it, which eventually is hoped to
produce commercially available energy. From the article: "Twenty years ago,
geologist Gudmundur Omar Friedleifsson had a surprise when he lowered a
thermometer down a borehole. 'We melted the thermometer,' he recalls.
'It was set for 380C; but it just melted.'". Excuse me, Gudmundur, but how
could that ever have been a 'surprise'..."

Discuss this story at:
    http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/03/27/1149253

Links:
    0. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4846574.stm