On Apr 10, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Thomas Kelly wrote:

The oil I use titrates between 1.0 and 1.5g/L.

That's pretty clean  oil  --  should only have maybe
11g of FFA per liter, which will need about 5g (3ml)
of  85% H3PO4 (per liter oil) to separate. Sounds like
you're using about 300X too much phosphoric acid.

I use the single stage base method. I get a yield greater
than 80%. I have assumed that it is because I use oil that
is low in FFA.
Does this also explain why I get only about half as much
FFA as Glycerine when I separate the glycerine mix?

Per liter of oil, you might expect to get 100ml of glycerine
and the above 11g (12ml) of FFA. If you're getting five
times that much "FFA", it's probly not FFA.

I have my oil burner running on BD100. I would like to add
the FFA from the split ...  probably 5 - 10%. Any problems
anticipated w. this? Will it stay dissolved in the BD or separate
out?

FFA should be soluble in biodiesel to at least that extent.

-K