Keith,

Thanks for correcting my sentence, missing the word "only". Yep, peaceful protests do happen and I didn't articulate that very clearly. Kinda funny since I participate in them from time to time.

Mike

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have to agree that social change does not happen with peaceful protests.

Social change does not ONLY happen with peaceful protest. And
peaceful protest does most certainly happen.

>The people benefiting from the imbalance that causes peaceful
>protests won't let go so easily (especially when they pay someone to
>fight their battles).
>
>The fight ends up being between the only two forms of power that
>mean anything in our society - money and people. When individuals
>believe they should have more than most, they accumulate wealth and
>with it, power. Those who are effected by that power and are not
>wealthy, organize and gather consensus among their fellow citizens.
>
>(IMO) the violence starts when the two powers have had time (years)
>to build. Peaceful protests are a tell-tale, signaling the
>possibility of violence.

They signal the failure of the system to deliver on its promises, so
alternative means must be found of bringing public opinion to bear on
public events, and peaceful protest is one of them.

>The conflict won't end until antagonists (ruling class) have become
>exhausted from the fight and it's clear that there isn't much
>(money) left to gain by continuing.

That's how it's been in the past, but despite all the apparently lost
battles what history shows nonetheless is a steady pushing forward of
the frontiers of human rights. That all the battles of the past have
been lost (they weren't) wouldn't necessarily mean that the next one
will be the same, especially not when there are some really new
factors in the mix, which there are. The whole long 10,000-year war
could be won or lost now, not just a battle.

>The reason for such an imbalance can't be placed squarely on the
>shoulders of the narcissists who gather wealth for the purpose of
>projecting power. If citizens played a bigger role in the everyday
>business of government, the imbalance would be seen earlier and kept
>from becoming the threat that it is today.

Why do they consent to leaving it all to the government and the
authorities in the first place? That's just what Edward Bernays said
he invented public relations to achieve after all.

Best

Keith

>...my $.02
>
>Mike