Chip wrote: "I had a post 'screened' a few months back, which led to a lively off-list debate..."

If all posts on that thread were screened, I disagree with your assessment. However, I agree with subsequent screening/deleting after the list members had a chance to read and dissent to the initial posts.

To my knowledge Keith tries to give the list a chance to respond to every post and it's understood (IMO) that members who have nothing but antagonism to offer, are removed. This is usually done with all the transparency he can afford.

Mike

Chip Mefford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Redler wrote:
> I just wanted to chime in here.
>
> Keith wrote:
>
> "It reached a stage here where the list would not have
> survived unless we'd formulated the rules, which were already there,
> we didn't just make them up."
>
> It's also too common to see a reactionary restriction of _expression_, screening all posts before distribution (for example).

Oh, I don't know.

I had a post 'screened' a few months back, which led to a lively
off-list debate, (actually it was a fight/screaming match) -which
I lost btw- that would not have benefitted the list at all.

the post I submitted and had screened, was poorly (not at all)
researched, and expressed a pov that was based in ignorance of
the subject I was commenting upon. It was taken the wrong way
by the moderator, but in light of the subject at hand, that
was certainly understandable, and in interest of the health
of the list, the decision to take the argument/debate off
list was most certainly correct. It also saved me the
embarrassment of arguing an idiotic point, something I am
want to do upon occasion :)

>big thread snipped upon which I have nothing to add

--chipper