Hi Bob

>Hi Keith,
>               I'm sure you misunderstood the thread. I went back and had a
>look. It definitely says "a little" more clarification. You didn't just
>reply, you swamped me with several hours reading and chasing of urls linked
>to urls linked to... :)   Anyway, you get the picture.

:-) What did that guy say? I'd have written you a shorter letter but
I didn't have the time.

>Knocked out by the revelation of your family connection to Groote Schuur.
>I'd be eating my heart out if it were me.

I didn't want what would have come with it. I'd probably just have
sold it like Abraham did and mooched off anyway, and left nothing for
the descendants, nor any descendants not to leave it to either.

>As it was I found the house and
>garden highly evocative, soaked in an ambience of something not quite
>definable other than the very powerful feel that real people had coped with
>some very real and major issues there.
>An item I didn't include in my last post was the Nat Party junket at the
>house which featured the very public release of another of those glossy
>spindoctoring brochures about South Africa. The Minister of Information
>(yes, the very same who presided over the Information scandal)

Connie Mulder? Sounds more like Eschel Rhoodie, but he was the
Secretary not the Minister. Anyway...

>decided to
>make it a big event with foreign and local press, plus as many members of
>the cabinet and their wives as he could assemble.
>He chose the main hall at Groote Schuur, lined it with the notables, placed
>we scruffier sprigs of the Fourth Estate furthest from the bar and launched
>into his spin. My attention wandered slightly. Something at the edge of my
>peripheral vision was bothering me.
>I focused. It was Cecil himself, in that famous Cape painting, staring down
>from the wall at the far end. He was looking directly at the speaker's back
>with such an expression of outrage that I snorted loudly, nudged the journo
>next to me who passed on the joke. Soon half the press corp was snorting and
>giggling, so much so that the Speaker stopped and stared us into silence. I
>quickly shot a pic with a vague idea of working a satirical angle into the
>story.
>I kid you not, when the darkroom boys later send the pic down to the
>newsroom there was none of the quality my imagination had imbued. Rhodes was
>not even looking at the speaker and his expression was as lugubrious as
>ever. So much for mindset.

The camera lied. Nice story, thanks.

>Thanks for the Orwell piece, some interesting points raised though I've
>always thought if he'd got himself laid more we could have been spared his
>excursions into literary criticism.

I like his criticism. It must be 40 years since I first read that
book, I think it's lasted well. I share Orwell's views on Kipling.

>He made one important point about
>Kipling's work: while the Rudyards have long ceased from Kipling and the
>Haggards ride no more his epigrammatic phrases still sprinkle the language
>while the critics have been forgotten.

Well, Orwell and Eliot haven't been forgotten. Didn't you agree with
what Orwell said about Kipling's written-in working-class accents?

I wouldn't put Rider Haggard in the same box as Kipling. They were
friends, and both were creatures of empire and of their times, but it
doesn't go much further than that. I don't think Kipling's work was
admired by Jung as was Haggard's, for instance, nor did Kipling write
a masterly account of rural England and agriculture as did Haggard,
nor could he have. Haggard has depths that aren't found in Kipling,
and he wasn't an apologist. Kipling has faded more than Haggard has.
Haggard hasn't really faded such a lot. A colonial administrator in
South Africa 120 years ago who held strong views that blacks should
rule themselves has some staying power. Quite a lot of Haggard has
staying power, for quite a wide range of reasons. With Kipling, as
Orwell says, it's mostly just children's books and the free fatty
phrases that remain, and many of the phrases might as well have been
written by Anon. I think Kipling's views and his world are as dated
as the Pears Soap ad. You have to laugh at it now but it probably
seemed perfectly normal and virtuous to Kipling. Give them Empire and
Pears Soap, it's for their own good whether they like it or not. (Not
to mention the Great Unwashed.) Empire and Soap might be an evolution
of the Sword and the Bible, or just the Sword, but it hardly points
the way forward, we've moved on since then even if some of our
governments haven't.

"Africa renewed [Haggard's] faith in a world beyond conventional
religion, and gave him a sense of morality greater than the
narrow-minded "White man's burden" Enlightenment common-place, so
pervasive among colonial writers. Instead in Haggard's works it is
the white man who is in need of ministering and Africa that provides
the enlightenment." - John Senior, Rhodes University, 1996.

If that seems improbable, have you read Kurt Vonnegut's report from Biafra?
http://snipurl.com/pimc
Biafra: A People Betrayed - An Essay on Biafra by Kurt Vonnegut

>Eliot worried whether Kipling was a poet or a just a versifier. A truly
>Prufrockian observation. Too many coffee spoons I'd guess.

I quite like The Wasteland, and the Four Quartets I guess, but I
don't like Eliot. He was a talented editor though, that was a golden
era at Faber & Faber. Wasn't Eliot involved with the "Cliveden Set"?
Didn't he accuse Hitler of making anti-semitism unfashionable or
something?

>Much appreciated your backgrounder on Milner et al. I've saved it for
>further rumination at leisure.

I was going to say a bit more about that but it turns out to need
more cobbling together than I thought.

>And Pears Soap as an easer of the White Man's
>Burden? Keri could hear me chortling from the other end of the house and
>came racing in to share the joke. I told her with a straight face that we
>use racist soap - and proved it by showing her the ad.
>Thanks for making my day.

I'm not sure who should thank whom, it made my day too, it's a classic.

>Bob.
>PS: Your mention of South Africa's A-bomb test stirred a memory. I went back
>to the bookshelf and found it, on page 61 of Dr Richard Mueller's "Nemesis,
>the Death Star" (Weidenfeld and Nicolson, New York 1988). Mueller at that
>time was Professor of Physics at Berkely and Faculty Senior Scientist at the
>Lawrence Berkely Laboratory.  The book is an account of how he came to prove
>his theory of repeat extinctions of species throughout earth's geological
>history and their cause, an orbiting star with a periodicity of some 65
>million years. On page 61 Mueller states - in citing various jobs he had
>done for the US government that year: "Frank Press asked me to be on a
>special committee to investigate a report that South Africa had tested a
>nuclear weapon. (We were able to show that they had not made such a test)."
>(Mueller's brackets).

:-) I think I'll stick to my version though.

Thanks Bob.

All best

Keith