Hey, I just wanted to put in my $.02 about Steve Spence.

I was a member of both "wastewatts" and "12VDC" - both moderated (or owned) by Steve Spence. I invited him to speak at my local section of ASME, of which I chair. He was well received and found to be entertaining by the membership.

Since then, I've become frustrated by the "ceiling" of knowledge one encounters with both of these groups. Steve is a pretty good study and I've seen him accurately regurgitate a lot of technical information. However, don't expect a great deal of theoretical knowledge or analytical abilities when discussing things conceptually.

I finally left both groups after dissenting to another members opinion about deforestation and how he claimed that "there are more trees now than at the founding of this country". I sent a prickly reply that even Todd might be proud of. This mindless debate was on top of already mounting frustration about the group looking more like an extended infomercial for batteries and off-grid appliances.

While others were building shopping lists and pretending they worked for consumer reports, I wanted to conspire with other members and design inverters and AC motor controls (for example). My hopes were that the schematics and other technical details could be published in the public domain and help those who couldn't (or didn't want to) simply buy everything.

What helped expedite my decision was finding out that Steve screens every message then, he explained "This isn't a democracy". He closed with a smug smiley face.

I believe that Steve might be on this list and laying low with an alias. If so, I doubt he will acknowledge any wrong doing.

One final note: Of all the name listed in this thread, I haven't seen anyone mention the arrogant behavior of another list owner - Laren Corie. He runs a couple of YG's including "refrigerator alternatives" and a woodgas group.

Mike

Appal Energy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yo dee ho Keith,

> This offlist stuff these folks do here happens especially
> if anyone mentions Aleks's Foolproof acid-base method,
> they really hate Aleks, though they've never encountered
> him in any way. He's at Journey to Forever but they're not,
> you see. (They hate Todd Swearingen too.)

"Sniffle..., smurf..., snif..., huckhhhh....."
My feelings are oh so hurt.

> As girl Mark and Ginny in Denver so helpfully pointed out,
> forget everything there and start over.

Doh!!! And then the self-appointed expert, at least expert enough as to declare others less than capable - that would be the poor dear Ginny in Denver - just couldn't seem to identify how or where she had fouled up a five gallon batch and started asking for help from anyone who had some insight.

Had she not forgotten everything she had read at JTF (as she's instructed everyone else to do) it's rather doubtful that the dear would have found herself in midst of such a problem without a clue as to how to extract herself.

Oh well. People pick their own poison.

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg37170.html

I'd all but forgotten dear Mr. Legge. I still can't forgive myself for outing him (not!) and his nom de plume. Funny that. I don't think he's ever forgiven me either...., sniff..., smurf..., snuffle..., snarf.....

Anyhow, thanks for the stroll down memory lane Keith. A nice, tidy, compressed nutshell of a package of destruction that's really screwed a lot of people that could have been doing a lot of good. Glad you still take some time to check the bilge pumps and make sure the sewage and it's rats don't decimate the entire grassroots biodiesel sector.

Now if you'll forgive me, I'm headed to the pantry for a pint of black and tan and then I'm off to fake another 325 gallons of acid/base biodiesel..., you know..., Aleks' method that "doesn't work."

Todd Swearingen

=== message truncated ===