Bob Carr wrote:

> [...]
Tha catalyst is apparently made as follows:

Place sugar into a sealed container and purge the air with notrogen,
alternatively feed a small amount of nitrogen into the container during
cooking to keep the air out. Heat to 350 degrees C and hold for about 15
hours (I think, not 100% on time) Then remove the burnt sugar and place
in concentrated sulphuric acid at 150 degrees C for several hours. Wash
repeatedly with deinonised water and then its ready for use. Have got a
2nd hand oven last week to try (dont fancy using the one in the kitchen
as its going to need to go 100 degrees over the maximum!) will wire in a
temperature controller next week and see if it can cope with the extra
temperature.

My processor is not continuous, but more like semi-continuous. I have
designed it on the assumptions that:
the more vigarous the mixing the quicker the reaction.
the higher the temperature the greater the energy available to make the
reaction happen
the pressure needed because of the high temperature operation will also
increase the energy available.
I read a paper about some studies using 'supercritical' methanol and
claims were made of reaction times on small samples being quoted in seconds!

The processor consists of 3 stages each stage has a mixer and contains 6
litres. A pair of stainless pnumatic cylinders will push measured
quantities of oil and methoxide in every x minuites (x to be determined
my trial and error) the fresh mix will consist of 3 litres and will
displace 3 litres from reactor 1 into reactor 2 where it will recieve
another x minuites of mixing, the next charge will displace it into
reactor 3 and so on until it gets spat out into an evaporator tower at a
temperature where the methanol should start to flash off immediately.
After leaving the heated evaporator it will enter a seperating tower
sized so that seperation only has to occur over about 2.3cm of depth.
The products will be injected into the seperating tower at the point of
seperation and this will allow a good several hours of seperating time
before it overflows from the top. Glycerine will be drained
automatically using an optical sensor at the bottom of the tower. I need
to experiment with the results of Magnesol washing to see if the wash
stage can also be included into the processor. I currently produce only
about 4-500 litres a month and I collect my oil monthly. The legislation
in the UK means I have to make batches of 80 litres wvo + methoxide and
in my current processor including settling this is taking 24 hours a
batch. I hope to do the whole batch of 500 litres in 24 hours. If the
processor is scaled up to meet the 'process 100 litres max at any one
time' legislation I should be able to process 2500 litres a day on 8
hour shifts!
The reactor should be very compact, the reactor tubes are 0.75 metres in
length and can be stacked in a triangle configuration or even mounted
vertically. I just need to find some more time to get the welding
finished off and then hopefully I can get it all plumbed together and
tested. The mixing is being done using Grundfos centeral heating pumps
with the scroll removed as I have a box full of these and they seem
WVO/biodiesel tolerant (have been using them regularly for about 2 years
now and they show no signs of deterioration after continuously being
submerged in the diesel processor.) I currently process in my 80 litre
batch reactor using 2 of these pumps and the process time is reasonable.
Each one is 120watts so the rate of mixing will be in the order of
20W/litre compared to my current rate of 3 W/litre. there are also 3
rows of fixed mixing blades in the tubes to aid the reaction.
The cost of the reactor is significantly less than the savings I get in
fuel costs over one month so its not been too bad. Construction is 316
stainless so it should be good for a few million litres.

Chris..