Hello Scott

>I'm attempting to produce my first test batch of bio-diesel.  To
>keep things simple, I'm using fresh oil.

Yes, but that's also where you should start to get it right. Start here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Follow the instructions, step by step, adding variables one by one,
use the quality checks before you move on.

>I seem to be having a bit of trouble though.  My NaOH lye isn't
>dissolving fully in the methanol, and everything I've read says not
>to mix this with the oil until the lye is completely dissolved.
>
>Could I have bad lye?

It will dissolve in the methanol even if it's not good methanol, so
it must be bad lye.

What is it and where did you get it?

What does it look like?

How long did it take not to dissolve?

How did you mix it?

Mix it this way:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#methmix

KOH is better anyway, especially for novices.

Lots of info on lye if you go to the "start here" and keep going,
everything you need to know.

HTH.

Keith