Actually, you were heading in the right direction, Zeke.

All conifers are technically softwoods, period. Softwoods are distinguished
from other plants by their reproduction method. All softwoods are cone
bearing.

Hardwoods are flower bearing. As a general rule of thumb, if it's a broadleaf
or also very roughly, if it's deciduous, it's probably a hardwood (don't be
fooled though, there are many exceptions in both camps - for example here in
New Zealand most of the indigenous hardwoods, except for one are evergreen
and on the other side, Larches and some cypresses, both conifers, are
deciduous)

The term softwood, though has little bearing on the hardness of the wood,
though in general, they are softer than hardwoods. Again, exceptions abound.
Balsa is a hardwood, Yew which is harder than most hardwoods is a softwood.

Confused yet?

Having said that all of the trees you mentioned are hardwoods and therefore
fine for producing lye.

Now, I'm not an expert on making lye from wood ashes but veside the JtF info,
I did find this on the net regarding softwood vs hardwood ashes for
soapmaking:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/making_lye.html

"Soft wood ashes yield a lye that will only produce soft soap. Hardwood ash
lye will make harder soap for bars, and the best ash of all is from seaweed,
such as kelp. Kelp ash lye produces an extremely hard, durable soap."

I can't quite reconcile that with the info on JtF because this might suggest
that hardwood ash would contain more NaOH than softwood - which for soap
making would be far better, but maybe lye from softwood ash would be better
for biofuel production? Maybe someone else can clarify this. I would imagine
that most of the lye making techniques from the past using wood ashes had
soap making as a goal. Maybe softwoods just don't produce as much lye? or not
just the type of lye affects the hardness of soap? I'm beyond my realm of
knowledge at this point, so more questions than answers.

In any case, your source would be fine.

Steve