Zeke,

Thermal solar panels can reach surface temperatures around 400
degree Celsius, but with pump or thermal driven circulation the water
temperatures will not reach boiling temperature and open system can
be used. I have such a system on my roof. Generally the efficiency
is around 35%. The normal PV cells have 8 to 12% efficiency and
the new high efficient ones around 34% efficiency, need cooling
in concentrator applications. If the concentrator is not too efficient,
they can be mounted on an air cooling device, similar to what is used
for electronic components, otherwise they must have liquid cooling.

Design criteria for thermal solar panels was researched by Spanish
and Swedish Universities in Almeria, Spain, in 1960's. This was used
by a Swedish company, that now deliver 70% of the world market for
commercial thermal solar elements. They are delivered in rolls, cut to
size and the space for the liquid is then expanded with air pressure.

This is my understanding of the quite interesting current technological
situation. Since you did your master on solar panels, it would be very
interesting to get your view on where this is moving and perspective on
future possibilities.

Hakan