As far as I knew there were only four major types of fuel injection pumps.

1/ An inline pump with each piston in the pump adjustable to give the right
amount of injection with the changing quantities controlled by a rack
against the back end of the piston plungers whose housings incorporate screw
type lifts variable by the rack. That is the further the rack moves the
further the plunger pistons move and the more fuel injected. Normally these
are heavy duty pumps, expensive in the initial costs but very reliable and
can take heavier fluids more so than types 2 and 4. Early H and B series
Toyota engines, and many more.

2/ The DPA type rotary head pump with swash type arrangement to give
delivery. Generally a very weak pump and in need of constant maintenance
with one pump head feeding many injector nozzles. Not so well to operate as
1 above on heavier fluids.

3/ The single direct injection pump per cylinder run off an engine cam
shaft. This is in single and multi-cylinder engines. A great advantage of
these is they are so easy to repair, maintain and can be mostly done on the
side of the road as repairs. There can be many cylinders with this type of
independent pump per cylinder from 2 inch (Peters) to over 18 inches in
diameter. This type of injector system is my preference as it enables much
adjustment with very little technical equipment, (some just use shims and
others are set like tappets in an engine) See Duetz and marine Kubota,
Ruston singles to Ruston oil engines (crude oil injection direct, that stuff
can be like bituminum) to "liberty" engines. very easy to modify to heavier
fuels.

4/ The worst of the lot for me is the "common Rail" which uses a high
pressure pump and then electronics to adjust timing and fuel flows. A real
nightmare if heavy oils are used and hard to re-set the parameters on the
Power Control Module or what ever the designer designated the computer
control system as (PCM, ECM, PTCM etc). In amongst this lot is the Daimler
Puch engine design. This being developed as the Styre engine, now in many
configurations in vehicles, boats and other equipment as the power to weight
ration is all but equal to that of gas/petrol. This type of engine normally
injects twice per firing stroke, with the injectors and pumps being
unit-construction with one per cylinder. Due to the abolition of high
pressure fuel lines these injectors can inject at 3 to 4 rimes the pressure
of a system as in 1 to 3 above. this gives the best possible burning but is
sensitive to fuels and again is controlled by computerized   systems of
carious makes. I have never seen a heavy fuel run in any of these engines.
Has any one?

I opt for one and three above as they are easiest to work on and clean,
generally the injectors are basic as well and as long as shims are not mixed
up the injectors can be stripped and cleaned in a home garage without a POP
tester. All the other units are mostly throw aways once worn.

Just some thoughts when choosing what engine to use.

Doug.

PS Has any one tried converting a 4.0 liter fuel injected Jeep Wrangler to
ethanol of 895% and 15% water direct from fuel tank to injectors water and
all?

> Well, if they did it in Arizona in the Summer...
>
> Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>
> > A mercedes probably won't immediately die on  WVO.  It uses a gear
> >driven plunger type injector pump instead of the more common timing
> >belt driven rotary style.  From what I have heard, it can handle more
> >viscous fluid alot easier.
> >
> >Of course, you'll still get coking of the injectors from cold oil, and
> >if you try this on any other diesel other than a detroit diesel, which
> >has piston type unit injectors, your injector pump won't be happy.
> >
> >So, yes, they blew it.  They just happened to pick the one vehical
> >that would stand it for a while...
> >
> >On 5/14/06, Alan Petrillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>On Mythbusters episode 53
> >>

>>http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/episode/episode.html?clik=fa
nmain_leftnav

> >>the Mythbusters tackled "The Great Gas Conspiracy".  One of the things
> >>they covered was vegetable oil in diesels.
> >>
> >>They blew it.
> >>
> >>They ran a Mercedes on WVO, and several times made the point that "this
> >>was an unmodified diesel engine", and "anyone could just pour this stuff
> >>in their tank".  They made that "unmodified" point several times.
> >>
> >>I expect we're going to see a rash of ruined injection pumps thanks to
> >>this.  Maybe if they receive an avalanche of email they'll revisit the
> >>vegetable oil diesel subject before their screwup costs a lot of people
> >>a lot of money.
> >>

> >>AP

dangerous content by Lao Telecom MailScanner with NOD32, and is
believed to be clean.