Ola, Keith

      Here  Brazilian  agricultural research org  has successfully finished a simple  pyrolysis  of vegetable oil to be implemented in  rural Amazonian areas , which involves , simple heating of the vegetable oil  using wood   then condensing the gas , obtaining biofuel   just like BioD.The tractor has been showed to be running  without any problems.

   Thus thermal pyrolysis is  an cracking process, which Manick is  doing  for wood to make ethanol , the  process is used to make  reusable sugar based catalysts.
      Low temperature pyrolysis  is  what happend  to the cooked  and the used oil .
 I am referring not the  drastic pyrolysis  and i hope , now  you understand  what I mean by pretreatment  process  just like the  micro wave oven can give the best results  and simplify the process

 Thanking you

sd

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ola Pannir

>Ola,
>
> Keith , Manick and all.
>
> Even though , the debate , doughts go on for the long time
>here about this topic , it is not yet clear to me about the real
>value of obtaining the new catalyst from ash.And I suppose also
>that the same for some of our list members too .
>As Manick has pointed out that the potassium carbonate is the major
>one in ash ,

It varies quite widely. There's usually more calcium than potassium.

>It will be interesting some one here bringing the information about
>the average chemical composition of the ash.As I understand that
>the carbonate can be also act as the catalyst,

That's why I said it might not be a problem: "Trouble is the content
of wood ash varies widely. Another problem is that the KOH is mixed
with potassium carbonate, and some sodium too. Which may not be as
big a problem as it sounds."

>may be the combination of the several non metallic Na, K, Ca ,
>Silica can be more powerful catalyst too, thus making the
>explanation to the good result's reported , even the reaction
>going under room temperature. How ever reproducing the result with
>the use of the ash is another problem too to get the results
>reproduced.

It should be okay if you calibrate it each time against standard NaOH
or standard KOH, so you can see how much to use.

If it works, there's certainly an advantage in not having to buy
catalyst and getting it instead from a readily available sustainable
source that you can provide for yourself.

> As used WVO has been already cracked , can be also another path
>to make the low temperature catalyst , any heating the oil to
>remove the water is an pretreatment needed, thus optimization of
>this heating process , like the very slight pyrolysis shown to be
>effective to crack and separate out the glycerin with very little
>loss , yet to be achieved in practice .

I'm not sure what you mean. How do you use pyrolysis this way?

> Thus the combined KOH making from ash , the pretreatment of
>the soft pyrolysis by heating the oil and light cracking to
>separate out glycerin as pretreatment, then the low temperature
>catalysis can be very promising new root with new low cost
>catalyst , with out need for reusable costlier catalyst. This root
>can be well easily home made by any poor man too.

We're doing all that except the cracking, which I don't understand.

>No need for methoxy combination of alcohol with catalysts.

That's where you lose me.

>Thus the data's available to all of us show that such simple
>solutions to the complex problems may be possible.

Simple solutions are certainly possible.

> Let all of us share our views. If simple method can work , we
>may end up the war based on non renewable , as the people can make
>the bio fuel as simple as to make the soap , or salt , with out the
>need for big investments and machines , but involving the art as
>well as social technology based on our collaborative work , with
>no need for huge machine and instrumentation , thus we all can
>transfer this process to all the place where there is real need
>.This new process can be reality , if all our list sharing capacity
>very high.

I think it IS a reality, without a new process.

> More experimental result's are needed using slaked lime converting
>the carbonates into more powerful , practical catalyst for rural
>areas.

It might not be necessary if the combination of KOH and potassium
carbonate found in wood ash is found to work effectively.

Best wishes

Keith