-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Zeke Yewdall
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:54 PM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Thermal conductivity Please help

This means basically that at 300K average temperature, the thermal
conductivity is 149 W/(m*K).  What the proper units are is actually
W*m/(sq meter *K).  Two of the meters cancel out to leave just one on
the bottom, but it's easier to think of it with them still in there.
If you think about trying to calculate heat transfer in watts per
square meter, you need to cancel out the m on top of the thermal
conductivity, and the K on the bottom.  So, you multiply the
conductivity by the delta T in Kelvins, which cancels the K.  And you
divide it by the thickness of the silicon you are transferring heat
through (because a thicker piece will transfer less heat), which
cancels out the m on top.  This leaves units of W/m^2 for the units of
the answer, which is what we were looking for.  If we want total
watts, we can multiply by the area of the heat transfer area, and
cancel out the m^2, and are left with just watts.

On 5/16/06, logan vilas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thermal conductivity of silicone (300 K) 149 W/(m.K)
>

> Can anyone help me understand this. I've been trying to figure out how to
> read this equasion for 2 days and all I got was a headache.
>
> Logan Vilas

messages):

messages):