Hello Ryan

You said you started the wrong way round:

>Which is demonstrated by the fact that I have my processor just
>about build and haven't done a single small batch yet...I'm a rookie.

Well, that's what you said, we said it was the wrong way round:

"Where do I start? -- Start with the process, NOT with the processor.
The processor comes later."
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

"When you're confident that you can get good results every time, even
using oil from different sources, then it's time to scale up the
process to provide your fuel needs. Now that you have a feel for the
process and know what to expect, you'll have a much better idea of
what sort of processor you want than if you'd started off building
the processor (as many do) rather than learning the process first."
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#moving

>I can't reclaim my investment with small batches.

Your investment? I'm quite interested in that, just at the moment.
People are always asking about costs.

What are you costing in your investment? The cost of the processor,
let's see, that was only two 60-litre batches, it took two days, or a
few hours over a couple of days.

Building it took much longer, I'd never built such a thing before,
and figuring it all out first took even longer. But I'd learned
really a lot from people here on the list and I got that for nothing,
so I don't know how to cost it. The processor works very well though
and now lots of people have built them, and they also got it for
nothing. If you took an eco-economist's view (which we'll all have to
take in the end), economics that can tell a sword from a plowshare,
you'd have to add all that in too somehow to be realistic about the
costs. I think that means I must be rich by now because of the free
processor and so on, and I'm not the only one. But if you take a
money economist's view, the prevailing one, sad to say, which indeed
can't tell a sword from a plowshare, it means I'm as poor as a
churchmouse, and that's the truth of it. Obviously I'm not too good
at costings, and I end up completely confused about how a person
would go about getting their investment back. Well, no need to be so
complicated about it, but it's worth a thought.

Do you cost your time? What do you include? That was about two months
ago you said you're a rookie. Do you include all the development time
in the meantime? Would that be just time spent making test batches,
finding and getting materials and so on?

How about the learning curve, would you cost the time that takes?
Time spent here, for instance, or at the JtF website Biodiesel
section. If you do cost it, do you think we should cost it too, the
ones who provide it all in various ways, including many list members,
which could end up including you? Where do you draw the line?

I'd appreciate your opinion, and any others too.

> And it was only the first batch that I felt the (unnecessary) need
>to reprocess that I had problems with.  The one following that just
>took a little extra washing (7 instead of 3-4) and the last one
>turned out absolutely perfectly.  I put the sum of the second two
>batches in my truck yesterday morning; all 0.4 gallons (~1.5L)!  But
>it was $1.18 I didn't have to spent at the pump!

What will you do with the $1.18?

>  This weekend; my first WVO test batches.  Hooray!

Good luck.

Best

Keith