Jason & Katie wrote.

> actually, the big Cat 4cylinders can be shoehorned into a full sized
pickup,
> and they get about 20 mpg in the rigs they were designed for. in the
smaller
> PU's they should get a major boost in mileage because there's so much less
> weight to shove around.

Correct the big Cat 4's will fit.

However the Big Cat 4 cylinders (3304 etc) are not known to run continuously
at 4K to 5K RPM, The connecting rods have gradings, from memory, of 2oz
differences in weight as acceptable. They are also not so good in the power
to weight ratio. John Deere makes a very good 4 cylinder with twin rotating
balance shafts. This again will run all day at 2,200 but not at the 4K to 5K
range required by transportation, they are also very heavy. Both the above
makes are not cheep for parts or purchase.

The P3 was the Perkins fitted to taxis for a while in the 30's and the P4
and P6 fitted to buses and other machines of the time such as loaders and
the Massey Ferguson tractor. The 3 cylinder engines, plus the 6 & 12 etc,
take the least in balancing as they are all dynamically balanced thus there
weight can be reduced through the lack of counter balance shafts or weighted
crankshafts.

Doug.

The