From: "bob allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Manesol pretreatment and washing

Joe Street wrote:
> I am interested in the pics.  What is magnesol exactly?

good question:

MAGNESOL - (DP - 45)

  MAGNESIUM SILICATE, not much different than talc.

but

MAGNESOL® is based on a linear polyester imide resin.

I suspect you want the former, not the latter.

  Also I just
> [...]
> shine a laser (pointer) through the BD. The beam should not be visible
> in the liquid.  Note that this tells you nothing about trigliceride
> levels or methanol contamination but water content will give an
> indication above a certain level.
> Can magnesol be used to pretreat feedstock and be left in to settle out
> with the byproduct?
>
> Joe
>
> Chris Bennett wrote:
>
>> Been having a play with a bag of Magnesol this week with impressive
>> resuts. I made a sample batch of diesel, went over the top with the lye
>> by about 2 grams per litre. I added the magnesol powder to the finished,
>> seperated diesel and mixed for about 5 minuites. I removed the magnesol
>> by filtering thru coffee filters several times (it was quite difficult
>> to get it all out without a fine enough filter). The result is crystal
>> clear biodiesel. I mean CRYSTAL clear, much better than I have EVER been
>> able to get with water washing. Adding water to the diesel yields quick
>> seperation, clarity is still 100% and the wash water is perfectly clear.
>> 10grams per litre of magnesol has removed EVERY trace of soap and
>> contaminants. Lets just say I will no longer be water washing.
>> The next experiment was based on the claims that magnesol neutralises
>> FFA. I got 2 samples of WVO and filtered them. One 250ml sample was
>> treated with about 1.5g of magnesol and mixed for abut 10 minuites. The
>> magnesol was filtered out of the sample. BOTH samples were processed as
>> new oil with 3.5g lye per litre and 250ml meth per litre. After
>> seperation and cooling the pretreated sample is clear, and the byproduct
>> is a redish colour. The untreated sample shows an uncomplete reaction
>> and a very dark nearly black byproduct. I have yet to try water washing
>> these samples. It appears that the magnesol pretreatment has removed the
>> ffa content and then the oil has been able to be processed as new oil.
>> It should be quite easy to integrate into a process by adding an
>> arbitrary amount of magnesol to the feedstock and mixing, PH
>> measurements will tell you if more needs to be added.
>>
>> The waste magnesol, according to manufactutrers literature, can be
>> composted, put into landfill, and even used as animal feed. The magnesol
>> washing could be integrated into a semi continuous process easily, which
>> is why I am looking at it. Another comment is that when using it for
>> washing biodiesel it also seems to remove colour and odour from the
>> biodesel. The magnesol washed samples are always paler than the water
>> washed samples.
>>
>> If the used magnesol is put into water it instantly goes cramy white, as
>> it gives up the soaps etc that it has absorbed.
>>
>> Kieth, if you are interested I have some photos of the different samples
>> tested and washed. Maybe you could incorporate something aout it into
>> the JTF page? If anyone wants these photos emailed let me know! I was

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman

messages):