I was refering the era of the robber barons.  "The Octopus," Frank
Norris, and that whole era.

I personally don't mind maying taxes, particularly as the schools in my
area are good, the cops are honest, the city picks the trash and we
mandate 20% biodiesel in all heavy equipment.  I feel I get good value
for my money.

I'm not too crazy about my federal taxes lining the pockets of
Halliburton and funding yet another tax break for people in the top 1%.
I'm not happy about giving poil companies 10B "incentives" to find more
oil right before they report 34 BILLION dollars in earnings.
And I'm really unhappy about borrowing 1BN a week to keep Irag going?

Why are we handing out tax breaks if we're already insolvent?

I was speaking with a friend of mine who is in his 70's, a
Pulizter-prize winning political author, and he said that never in his
life, including WW2, HUAC, Cuban missle crisis and Watergate, has he
been for afraid for the future of his county.

Sobering thoughts.

-Mike