Hi Joe

>Hi Keith;
>
>I'm sure if I was in that situation I would be thrilled to find the info
>and pics on a website but how many people will need it vs the cost of
>storage space on your site? I suppose that is why you are asking for a
>show of hands?

I wasn't worried about the cost.

It's good information, but that's not the only point. Actually
there's very little about cars and engines at our site, and what is
there isn't this kind of information. It would be a new direction,
and I'm not sure we want to take it.

Several people have said it's "great biodiesel information", but the
"biodiesel" bit is only coincidental. We quite often get asked about
converting gasoline cars to diesel, but only by Americans, because
diesels are rare in the US but they want to use biodiesel. Most of
them are after avoiding the high US gasoline prices (which aren't
high enough, IMHO).

Diesels aren't rare anywhere else.

Some halfwit sent me an abusive email offlist saying "doug was
offering you free of charge a great addition to the journey to
forever biodiesel information" but I'd "ungrasosly" spurned it and
virtually told him to "piss off". Having just asked Doug for the
third time please to send it to me so I could upload it. Sigh.

He's an American. But if you're not an American, what does it have to
do with biodiesel? Doug's in Laos and I'm not sure why he does these
conversions, but it's not clear that it's so that people can use
biodiesel in these vehicles, I don't think that's the purpose.

Juan says in his interesting post it should be in the biodiesel
section at JtF, but he also doesn't say the purpose of the
conversions there is to use biodiesel.

Diesels use less fuel, but that's a different issue. Actually there's
also very little at JtF about fuel saving, or about carbon saving and
global warming. Of course we think it's important, but when you have
a focused project and a focused website you don't just dump
everything in there that you happen to think is important. Well we
don't anyway.

It's the same with this, and I'm not convinced.

A major point is that nothing just gets dumped into our website,
there's always a lot of work in it. It has to be tailored, especially
if it comes from a mailing list, it's the wrong shape. Doug wrote a
whole lot, a lot of it in response to questions, it'll take a lot of
sorting out to make it accessible on a web page, quite a few hours'
work. But there's already a queue of stuff waiting for upload.

If anyone thinks it's not necessary, that I should stop making a fuss
and just dump it all in, then they're welcome to see how well this
works: Doug sent me a bunch of photographs with quite a lot of text
explanation in an email. I'll upload the photographs (only the
photographs) to a special folder for this at the JtF site (like I did
with Jim's venturi pics) and post a message here with the links, the
explanation, and links to the relevant threads in the list archives.
That's 75 messages in all. Have fun finding the two or three or five
paragraphs about your particular diesel conversion amongst it all.

But that's all I can do quickly (tomorrow).

If I organised the copy and put it in the JtF Biodiesel section,
people would straight away start asking why this gas car isn't there
nor that diesel engine, and then they'd want information on LPG
conversions too, and on anything else that saved fuel (fuel or
money), and that's just not what we're on about.

I'm still not saying no, I'm open to persuasion, but those are my objections.

It might all be missing the point anyway. Why can't we just do it
onlist, like we do everything else? It's a kind of workshop Doug's
conducting, that's what the list is for, among other things. If I
upload Doug's images to the folder at JtF and Doug posts the
explanations here for further discussion, wouldn't that be enough?

Best

Keith