Well, Conservative USED to mean:
Pro state's rights - for instance the states were vested with the
responsibility to manage education, MARRIAGE, policing and so on.
A fiscally sound economy - no debts, and minimal spending on social
programs.
A strong defense, or, not having your armed forces stretched to the
breaking point.
Little foreign entanglements.

I can't tell you what it means now...