Mike,

I would not take issue on pollution per facility, but pollution per
nation. US is very much larger polluter per capita than both China
and India together. US is also larger polluter in absolute terms,so
it is not surprising that US did not sign Kyoto. Even Bush said that
it would be too expensive to meet the Kyoto targets, which means
that US is way above them, otherwise it would not be that costly.
Looking at GDP levels, if anyone could afford a clean up, it is US.

I also think that the US glass house is damaged beyond repair,
with all the stone throwing that it suffered. As usual, it is more
about image, than practical realities.

Hakan