From: laura belin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: "Marc Franke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun May 28, 2006  9:15 am
Subject: RE: [irenew] who killed the electric car?
hint: it was gassed

I worked for GM for 17 years. I got my engineering degree
 from their own corporately owned, private but fully
accredited college; General Motors Institute (GMI).

The problem at GM runs deep and can be somewhat subtle.

As a student, I alternated work in my home division
(Delco Products; made shock absorbers and electric motors)
 and school at GMI in Flint, Mi. I would spend 6 weeks in
 a work assignment in the plant (Dayton, Oh) and 6 weeks
 in school in Flint. I then worked a 5th year Practicum
 entirely in the plant before getting my degree.

My 6 weeks in the plant would always be in a different
department. It might be Personnel, then Manufacturing,
then Product Engineering, etc. In my 4 years I basically
 did 16 internships traveling through every department in
 my division. By the time a student graduated from GMI
 they were schooled not only in the theory of Engineering,
 they also had a complete education in the practice of how
 GM conducted its business and accomplished its goals. GMI
 grads were almost always made an offer of permanent employment
and the conventional wisdom was that you were “set for life”.
 Many of GM’s managers came from the ranks of these GMI students.

That, was/is part of the problem.

There is a “GM way of doing things” that each GMI grad learns.
 Taking risks is discouraged. There is a lot of emphasis on
business, management and engineering competence, but very
little on leadership or vision. Fitting in with GM group
 think is highly encouraged. So much so that it is hard to
 get ahead any other way than to “fit in”. GM is not unique
 in that regard. Large corporations often fit this mold.

How does this impact the EV1 electric car experience?

The EV1 would have been a startling new direction for GM. It
 was only pursued at all because it was the brain child of
 the GM Chairman of the Board; Roger Smith. When a top GM
executive pushes something new, it gets done. If that executive
 stops pushing, the fact that it is new, means that corporate
 inertia will begin to resist the change.

See this auto industry trade journal (Ward’s Auto World) for
 a discussion of Roger:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_n7_v26/ai_10395219

In the article, Roger says that “…most people underestimate the
 opportunities for such a vehicle” referring to the EV1; how
true and how prophetic. By “most people” I think that Roger
was referring all of those carefully schooled GM executives
 and managers that were all encouraged to think the same.
 There is book called “The Car That Could” that chronicles
 the development of the EV1. It is a very interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067942105X/102-3430365-2309706?v=glance&n=283155

In the end, I believe that GM simply could not make the mental
 shift to a world of electric vehicles. Many within GM probably
 felt threatened by the EV1. Low maintenance electric vehicles
 (no spark plugs, mufflers, oil changes, tune ups, minimal brake
 pad wear, etc.) means existing business lines and profits are
 threatened all over GM. Once Roger Smith retired, the vast
momentum of GM direction began to assert itself leading eventually
 to the intentional destruction of the EV1; even so far as to the
 crushing of all of the existing vehicles. Some company will
eventually mass produce an electric vehicle and we will all
 wonder why it took sooooo long. It will not likely be GM.
 It could have been. It is a terrible shame for our country,
 our economy and the many GM employees that now have to sit
by and see their once mighty corporation be slowly dismantled.

As a former GM employee, I feel that sadness. A few years
following the Arab Oil Embargo of the early 70’s I submitted
 a sketch of a gas/hybrid electric power train design to my
 manager. It would have used electric motors that our division
 built. After a few days, my manager came back to me and
kindly counseled me not to do that again for it could hurt
 my career opportunities. You see, my engineering job was
 to make factory processes more efficient …not to lead product
 design in some new direction.

So, now, I no longer work for GM. I do drive a diesel car
(designed in Germany) and most of my miles are fueled by
 100% American-made BioDiesel. I can buy no such car from
 my former company.

Marc.

Marc Franke

Renewable energy advocate

Ely, Iowa

Date: Sun May 28, 2006  12:32 am
Subject: Re: [irenew] who killed the electric car? hint: it was gassed
laurabelin

My husband had a high school friend who was working
for GM in the early 1990s on this electric car project
(he's an engineer). We didn't talk about it at great
length, but I certainly got the impression from him
that GM wasn't ever serious about developing this
technology for the mass market.

Laurie Belin

Get your daily alternative energy news

Alternate Energy Resource Network