>>>Many people compost the glycerine cocktail w/o any treatment. I think
>>>this is best done when KOH is used as the caustic rather than NaOH.
>
>Tom,
>
>I don't believe they're actually composting it. But they think
>they're composting it.

I also think I've composted it, and I'd definitely know.

>The methanol fraction is toxic

It's not toxic to the soil microlife nor to plants.

... "Methanol is readily biodegradable in the environment under both
aerobic and anaerobic conditions (with and without oxygen) in a wide
variety of conditions.

"Generally 80% of methanol in sewage systems is biodegraded within 5 days.

"Methanol is a normal growth substrate for many soil microorganisms,
which completely degrade methanol to carbon dioxide and water.

"Methanol is of low toxicity to aquatic and terrestrial organisms and
it is not bioaccumulated. (It's toxic mainly to humans and monkeys.)

"Environmental effects due to exposure to methanol are unlikely.
Unless released in high concentrations, methanol would not be
expected to persist or bioaccumulate in the environment. Low levels
of release would not be expected to result in adverse environmental
effects."

 From "More about methanol" (with refs):
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#moremeth

It certainly won't harm a compost pile.

Anyway the methanol should be removed first.

>and the soap/oil fraction will smother almost everything.

It depends how much of it you use. "It will need to be mixed
thoroughly with other materials so that the air and bacteria can get
at it, or it will just make a sticky mass -- mix thoroughly with dry,
"brown" materials, use in conjunction with other composting materials
as only a part of the overall mix."
-- Composting
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html#compost

It works.

>Jason & Katie,
>
>At the level of home manufacture, about the best you can hope for is
>to create co-/waste-products that are essentially benign, as the
>amount of effort and infrastructure needed to refine the
>side-streams is phenomenal and beyond the reach of the average or
>above average home brewer.
>
>What you need are end products that can be disposed of without
>threat to the environment. Rather than seeking out the million and
>one possibilities and options, the suggestion would be to keep it
>simple.

But Tom is finding values in the uses that are well exceeding the
price of the phosphoric acid needed for separation, including
enhanced composting.

>Potassium hydroxide and phosphoric acid are as simple as you can get
>on the base side and for FFA recovery, with sulfuric acid for the
>acid pre-treatment of high FFA oils.
>
>Other acid and caustic combinations only leave you with less than
>useful, if not toxic, salts.

Potassium is harmful in excess. There are no chemicals involved in
the biodiesel processes we all use that are toxic to soil or plant
life. Separated FFA is a contact weed-killer but once composted it
will be benign, as with all the others, and composting also prevents
any potential excess problems, or well within reason anyway. Chemical
salts should not be added direct to the soil anyway, if you have them
always add them via the compost. Phosphoric acid, sulphuric acid and
hydrochloric acid can all be safely used for separation and the salts
used without adverse effects on compost, soil or plant life. If
you're using NaOH as the catalyst, decrease the proportion of
separated salts to other compost materials.

Best

Keith