Fritz,

In Sweden we have a frame with a normal window that you can open.
Beside we will have ventilation "window" 200-250 mm wide with
insulation and a wooden plate and insect protection in the space.
This will supply the fresh air and the ventilation sucks out the old
trough a heat pump that produces warm water for hot water supply and
radiators when the hot water reaches the limit 42-43 degree C, which
is the maximum you get from heat pumps. The hot (warm) water deposit
is large 300 to 500 liter for a family, because the relative low
temperature. Very efficient system and keeps the costs low.

We are used to build with windbreaker and vapor barrier and it works
very well in cold climates, where the inside air is almost always
heated and therefore dry (Molliere effect).

Sweden does not have power failures and if it has, they only last
minutes. In city environment, you will never have a power outage that
is longer than half an hour. At the country side, I have experienced
power failure as long as 6 hours, but they are very unusual. Since
many houses are dependent on electricity for heating, a long power
failure when it is -25 C, would destroy all the piping etc. If you
have longer outage, get an emergency generator and thanks to the heat
pumps, it will be feasible due to that you only need 1/3 of the
energy that you need without heat pumps.

I am not talking about odd design criteria, but about generally used
equipments in homes that are 20 year old or refurbished within that
period. This is why it is so large differences in average energy use,
compared to US and Canada. Sweden is also on top on the world living
standard, followed by the Nordic countries, shifting places on
different aspects, I think that US and Canada are placed at the end
of the top 10 list, you can look at the UN statistic. It is due to
good engineering and Building Codes, I was active in this during the
period when it all was developed. We had a climate simulation
software and did a lot of simulation for the development of the
Building Codes. This particular software shared the first price in
its field with the NASA software for climate in space capsules, in a
competition 1976.

Hakan