I actually saw one of these SMART cars on the road with Massachusetts
plates. I recall checking them out about 6-8 weeks ago and seeing that
they were available for special order through a dealer in New
Hampshire.

That being said, the 50bhp "fortwo" model gets 60 mpg (4.7 L/100km)
average. You could get comparable fuel economy from a Toyota Prius (55
mpg) and have seating for four. Also, compare the SMART "forfour" with
the 75bhp engine -- a direct comparison to the Toyota Prius (with a 74
hp engine) and we find that the Forfour gets about 50 mpg(5.6 L/100km).
Now, if Daimler-Chrysler licensed Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive
powertrain -- then the SMART's fuel efficiency  would be truly
remarkable. I'd really like to see that.

-John